Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you all go for end mills?

I bought 100's of pounds of new+used endmills at the last couple of machine shop auctions and after sorting through the new/used ones, I ended up with around 200-300lbs of new ones and around 100lbs of used ones. I gave Duckman ~100lbs++ of used endmills+drills when he picked up the free stuff I was getting rid of before Christmas. I have enough endmills and types of endmills that I could use each one just once and throw it away and probably never run out or ever need to buy an endmill for the next ~40 years. I've got tons of solid carbide, M42, and HSS endmills.
    Work hard play hard

3 Phase

Is that a hint that you need to reduce your stockpile? If So PM me...

Learned my lesson buying imported end mills the hard way. Ordered three to four hundred dollars’ worth of HSS end mills from a company whose name starts with S. Those things couldn’t cut thru hot butter.

A inch end mill couldn’t make a long inch cut .015 deep in 12l14; it was toast halfway thru the cut….seriously. And no I wasn’t running the mill in reverse  after the second one failed…. They went in the trash… lessoned learned.

Switched to USA made (Atrax and Melin), from then on, no issues.

Speaking of Atrax, saw a few Ebay listings for Atrax end mills sourced from India. USA made end mills coming from India in bulk, with the cool little blue Atrax tube and “Made in USA” sticker. Enough to make a person go Hummm….

Where do you all go for end mills?
    the sharp box.

The dull ones go in the dull box.

when there's no more room in the dull box, time to sharpen

I'm being a bit cute, that is the system, but the system started long ago when I didn't many and the good ones are expensive. Since, I've bought many complete kits over years and have so many new ones and resharpened now that years go by without needing to grind. A nice part about that is they all come from industry so the quality is good. I seems like things changed 2-3 years ago, you used to buy a whole kit, full roll around and top box for say $700 cdn, now the kids selling it expect to retire on it lol. End of the day, I haven't bought one retail in a decade or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunter View Post
    Speaking of Atrax, saw a few Ebay listings for Atrax end mills sourced from India. USA made end mills coming from India in bulk, with the cool little blue Atrax tube and “Made in USA” sticker. Enough to make a person go Hummm….
    Yeah, I was looking at ISCAR inserts. Wondering how another middleman can be added in China and still be cheaper than US or Israeli discount stock. Many used to show the inserts and they looked nothing like the "real" ones (chip breakers, etc.). Some of the sellers are wising up. They show pictures of the real brand names they're selling but ship floor sweepings from the insert manufacturers over there. They even copy and sell the boxes and labels for major manufacturers without any inserts--You supply the inserts of your choice. I don't know how they get away with it. Oh wait, yes I do. It's China.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Since, I've bought many complete kits over years ...

Complete kits? Of endmills? You mean like those wood boxes you sometimes see with a handful of 2 flute and 4 flute?

I guess for guys who are performing an unknown range of projects one of those might be ok to get started, but now I buy the endmills I need for the jobs I am going to be doing. With shipping being so quick these days its not hard to look at my projects boards and think about what I will be needing in the next week or so. Of course being a daily working shop I do have a couple drawers full of new ball mills and square end mills sorted by size. I use a lot of small stuff, and when a mill is starting to throw up an excessive burr I replace it with one out of the new drawer, and toss the old one in the carbide recycling pot on the bench. I hardly use any HSS mills. Just a very few.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Complete kits? Of endmills? .
    no, kits as in a whole machinists tool kit, guy retires or passes away and the full roll around box comes up for sale. There's almost always a quantity of new and used cutting tools, hss, carbide etc.

I've been very happy with onlinecarbide.com. A good deal cheaper than the other big names like lake shore and martiool, but seem to be excellent quality, in this hobbyist's experience. They have an ebay store as well but I forget the name, prices and shipping are reasonable either method.

Ebay. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Hi,

I get mine from where ever I like the price.

eBay works well if you can wait for deals, resharps and even odd sized new cutters, (who needs 15/64" end mills?), can be gotten for a good price. I've even gotten decent carbide end mills from Banggood a time or two. I often find Amazon to be near the top for tooling prices for no-name tools. Better to buy a name brand at that point. Don't think I've ever used Shars for any cutting tools.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

http://www.2linc.com/
    One of the advertisers that support our magazines and this BBS.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~