Thread: Scraper blades for Biax power scraper

Default Scraper blades for Biax power scraper

I have acquired a Biax power scraper and after finding out the prices of replacement blades I have decided to make some for myself. I want the 150mm length blades and I will braze on carbide blanks and radius them. However I do not know what type of steel they are made of and the thickness and width they should be. Can they be made out of mild steel or does it need to be tool steel. Also I have noted that the 150mm blades are thinner than the short ones I have and thinner than the blades with the indexable insert heads.
    Any advise or dimensions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Skipd1

They can be mild steel. Width dimensions aren't critical. The width and thickness will affect the springiness, but that's also affected by the rubber bumper in the Biax holder and how tight you crank down on the screw. The shorter blades are also stiffer and you'll get some experience and preferences by just trying things. Broadly speaking, if you really need to shovel off material, you'll want a stiffer (as in shorter) blade along with a longer stroke and broader curve.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

I have little to no experience scraping with a power scraper but I have seen Stefan Gotteswinter's video on his new Biax scraper, that he feels the long 150mm blades give the best performance because of their springiness. I do have a couple of the brazed carbide short blades and one short indexable blade. The longer 130mm indexable blade that I have seems very thick and will probably chatter, especially with an inexperience user such as myself. I am really looking forward to using it.
    I wanted to post some pictures, however I am not allowed to post attachments!! for whatever reason.

Skipd1

I am also somewhat confused to the different radius of the blades and their widths. What radius is best for roughing and what size for finishing and scraping out to higher point/inch? Is the 30mm radius for finishing and the larger radius for roughing?

Quote Originally Posted by skipd1 View Post
    I am also somewhat confused to the different radius of the blades and their widths. What radius is best for roughing and what size for finishing and scraping out to higher point/inch? Is the 30mm radius for finishing and the larger radius for roughing?
    Forrest would describe it as a coffee can radius for roughing, soup can for finishing. Biax talks about radii up to 160mm Richard King recommends 60mm for starting out. All seems about right to me - there is an element of personal preference and its not an exact thing. I use a larger radius for hand scraping, but there's a lot more control in hand scraping (at least for me)

Go for 20mm wide (they're metric) by 3mm thick. Grind the blade with an elliptical end rather than a circular one. That gives two advantages, first is that you don't accidentally gouge the work if you tip the scraper, the other is that with practice, you can use the sides/corners of the blades for finishing.
    At least, that's what has worked for me.

Thanks everyone