Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pm932m RF 45 style square column mills shaking

Exclamation Pm932m RF 45 style square column mills shaking

Does anyone else with this type of mill get machine shaking when drilling or using a endmill to drill a flat bottom hole .I sold my jet mill drill last year and never had this problem before. so far I've replaced a bad spindle and kinda fixed a head oil leak. When drilling I get vibration and sometimes with a endmill and everything locked the machine shakes like crazy . When I fixed the head oil leak .I went through every gear etc with a fine tooth comb didn't find anything.the other thing and not sure if it's related so I figured I'd mention it. when I tighten the knob that changes the quill from drill press to find feed with the handwheel usually the wheel has tension and is tight through the hole range of motion but on this mill. I have a spot from about 8 to 12 that has no tension and is basically loose then past 12 wherever you let off the handwheel it stays and has tension. the other side if you let go of the handwheel it just falls down to about 7 8 o'clock position. I pulled it and looked at the gear it looks fine and there just a bearing on there .yesterday I was drilling into aluminum with a centering drill and had vibration I shouldn't have. I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad head anyone else have any ideas of anything else I should check

How does it work when milling metals? Is there chatter and a poor finish?

Does it occur at all speeds? Check the motor pulleys and the belt. Rotate a pulley by hand (motor off) and check if you can see the belt moving up and down over a pulley. Check the pulleys for parallel edges (not crushed or bent) and rotate without a wobble.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Does it occur at all speeds? Check the motor pulleys and the belt. Rotate a pulley by hand (motor off) and check if you can see the belt moving up and down over a pulley. Check the pulleys for parallel edges (not crushed or bent) and rotate without a wobble.
    F45 is usually direct drive.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

Ops, my faux pas.

The spindle bearing locknut on my PM-30 backed off after a few cuts with a single flute dovetail cutter, which resulted in very easy chatter. I had to remove the spindle and re-tighten the nut and re-tighten the locking set screws. Your mill may not be exactly the same but very likely a similar feature to preload the spindle bearings.

Using an endmill to drill a hole also is a chatter prone operation, similar to endmilling into a corner, lots of cutter in contact requires more rigidity.

It sounds like maybe the gibs on one or more axis are not properly adjusted.

His mill is gear drive. When he had it apart I stopped by to have a look see. I was rather impressed with most of the gears for a Chinese mill. The were amazingly clean and burr free. It runs pretty quiet compared to other gear head mills I've operated. I don't think his issue is in the fine feed though. I ran the mill with the quill locked and experienced chatter when conventional side milling in either X or Y with the opposite gibb locked. The spindle also feels really good.

Just had a thought. Is there any chance when you trammed the mill you failed to lock down one or more of the column base bolts? Just for the heck of it why not loosen them all and then torque them down uniformly in stages.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 01-09-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Lot of great ideas. I have a RF-45 clone and dont have any chatter. Pretty rock solid with sharp tools.

Do like others said and lock everything down and see if you can localize the vibration with touch and sound (stethoscope). At varying speeds and feeds. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    Lot of great ideas. I have a RF-45 clone and dont have any chatter. Pretty rock solid with sharp tools.

Do like others said and lock everything down and see if you can localize the vibration with touch and sound (stethoscope). At varying speeds and feeds. JR
    Ha I just texted him to try a stethoscope. LOL.

Maybe also heavy gear oil (temporarily) in the head.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.