Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pm932m RF 45 style square column mills shaking

If it is a genuine Rong Fu it is made in Taiwan.

My f45 shatters a lot when I use a 4 knife fly cutter that came with it but the chatter comes from the spline between the gearbox and column
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

I have a Grizzly version of that mill. There is a great temptation to use it with the column lock down bolts loose. After all, you have to stand up and reach toward the rear to operate them. And they must be about four turns loose in order to release the sensor switches for the column movement (up-down) motor to work. But if you leave them loose, then you are inviting vibration as well as inaccuracy. I imagine the manual column versions can also be left unlocked and too loose for rigidity.

Tip: When I tighten those column locks, I always push the head to the rear while doing the final tightening on the top most lock bolt. The head is very heavy and it will definitely lean downwards toward the front of the mill with the slack in the dovetails. This is actually a forward rotation of the head so it not only moves off the vertical axis, but it also will be at a small angle to the vertical axis. I always get an additional quarter turn on the lock down out of that action. And then I am sure the head is back to the same position as it was before moving it.

I have had thoughts/dreams about motorizing those lock down bolts.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I have a Grizzly version of that mill. There is a great temptation to use it with the column lock down bolts loose. After all, you have to stand up and reach toward the rear to operate them. And they must be about four turns loose in order to release the sensor switches for the column movement (up-down) motor to work. But if you leave them loose, then you are inviting vibration as well as inaccuracy. I imagine the manual column versions can also be left unlocked and too loose for rigidity.

Tip: When I tighten those column locks, I always push the head to the rear while doing the final tightening on the top most lock bolt. The head is very heavy and it will definitely lean downwards toward the front of the mill with the slack in the dovetails. This is actually a forward rotation of the head so it not only moves off the vertical axis, but it also will be at a small angle to the vertical axis. I always get an additional quarter turn on the lock down out of that action. And then I am sure the head is back to the same position as it was before moving it.

I have had thoughts/dreams about motorizing those lock down bolts.
    That's one of the best ideas I have heard, and explains with his (and mine) old round columns didn't have that same chatter. They always had to have the column locked down before you started working.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.