Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Get me over the hump

Most of my lathe use in car building has been:
    -building tools to build tools
    -Building tools
    -washers, spacers, bushings, cutting fasteners to suitable size.
    -Nipples and fittings
    -repair/modity old parts ie brake pistons, engine piston skirts

Quite often it will turn nuisance job or 2trips to different hardware stores and auto stores to a pleasurable machining job.

I got a 9x17 and I wish I had a bigger lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I played with hot-rods all my life, and never really needed a lathe. As soon as I got a lathe, it opened up a whole world of polished knobs, brackets, coil holders, etcetera for "bling" on a hotrod. Best advice when buying a lathe is buy the biggest one that you can afford. If you start with a small lathe I can almost guarantee that after two years you will be wanting to upsize it.---Brian
    Me too! then throw in a mill, surface grinder, disc grinder, drill press, tig welder and there isnt much you cant make!
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

What Mike Amick said and the other guys . You need both . For the lathe , if you have the room and power I would go 14" . For the mill a Bridgeport J head step pulley 9X42 . Get to know some machinery dealers in your area . I'm pretty sure you could score both for around 5K . Tempt the dealer with a package deal .
    Last edited by markwesti; 01-09-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Remember that the size of a machine does not mean the size of part you can make.
    A 9x17 lathe is 9" diameter swing and 17" between centers. But, you cannot turn a part 9"dia x 17" long.
    By the time you mount a tool post, tool holder, put a bit in there, you may only actually 'turn' 4 1/2" dia on a 9" lathe.
    Same with length. I got 17" between centers but by the time you mount a chuck in headstock, mount chuck on tail stock, put a drill in there, I can only work about a 10" long piece, between chucks.

Same for a mill. The size of machine described doesnt include the vise, nor clamping space, nor chucks, etc, etc.

Measure the biggest one you can fit in. Then knock out whatever walls/windows/roof you need to to get the next bigger size.
    (Big is Good. Bigger is Better)

Drive shafts, half shafts, valves, pushrods, pinions, spigots, studs, knobs, levers... just so many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Remember that the size of a machine does not mean the size of part you can make.
    A 9x17 lathe is 9" diameter swing and 17" between centers. But, you cannot turn a part 9"dia x 17" long.
    By the time you mount a tool post, tool holder, put a bit in there, you may only actually 'turn' 4 1/2" dia on a 9" lathe.
    Same with length. I got 17" between centers but by the time you mount a chuck in headstock, mount chuck on tail stock, put a drill in there, I can only work about a 10" long piece, between chucks.

Same for a mill. The size of machine described doesnt include the vise, nor clamping space, nor chucks, etc, etc.
    Remove the compound, mount a lantern, use centres rather than chucks.
    "Length between centres" means exactly what it says on the box.
    "Bed length" is a cheap way for manufacturers to make a lathe sound bigger than it is.
    Similarly, Swing over cross slide is a more useful measurement than centre height.

Pender Island? Thats.where my family is originally from!

not to derail this thread, but what is an outdoor sock drier???

You ask for opinions, you have come to the right place plus there is a wealth of experience and knowledge here.
    Of course your budget is going to play havoc on your choice of what machine to buy, and space is another.
    I use to restore cars and build a few street rods in my younger days and got by without a lathe, but now that I have one, I can look back and see where things could have been much better had I had a lathe.
    I now have a 9X20 and it has it limits but I get by. I would not want any thing smaller. One of the most important things I wish my lathe had is a larger Spindle Bore I think you have to get up into the 10 inch swing it get above a 3/4 inch bore. If I was to do it all over again, I would search places like Craig's List in the surrounding area and then after you find something that you might like and take someone familiar with lathes with you to check it out. At least that way you're probably not going to end up with a worn out old 9" south bend. At least if you buy a good used one, chances are it will come with some necessary tooling.
    No mater what you buy, down the road sooner or later, you're going to want a bigger one.
    And be aware, once you're hooked, it's never going to stop. At least you'll have a plan where to spend any extra cash you might get.
    Good luck and have fun.