Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: museums

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    If you get a chance, and some on here are not that far away..
    Check out Duetsches Museum.. in Munich... on an island in the river..
    Some very cool machinery and so much more..
    If you only get 1/2 a day there, you will wish for more or go back again..

But I never got to Henry Ford or Smithsonian, wonder how they compare.
    When I was probably 12 years old we went to the Henry Ford Museum. They had a miniature machine shop on display. I was so fascinated with it and I still think it was part of the reason that I became a tool and diemaker as well as my dad being one.

My wife and I went back many years later and the machine shop was gone. It was still a fantastic museum but I was so bummed. I asked about it and was told that they sometimes rotate displays and that one had evidently been rotated out.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    When I was probably 12 years old we went to the Henry Ford Museum. They had a miniature machine shop on display. I was so fascinated with it and I still think it was part of the reason that I became a tool and diemaker as well as my dad being one.

My wife and I went back many years later and the machine shop was gone. It was still a fantastic museum but I was so bummed. I asked about it and was told that they sometimes rotate displays and that one had evidently been rotated out.

Brian
    The docent at the Henry Ford told me that what you see in the museum is only 20% of what they have. The second time I went I couldn't find the GT-40 Ford race car. Turns out that it went to England to race and they dropped it off a fork lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darryl and I live only about an hour away from a smaller museum in Langley BC for aircraft. I've yet to visit it though.

For aircraft, since this seems to be the theme, if any of you find yourself south of Edmonton Alberta in an area called Wetaskiwin you owe it to yourself to drop into the Reynolds Museum. It's two buildings with the first dedicated to mechanical stuff like cars, locomotives, early farm machinery and a really sweet big stationary plant steam engine. The second building is their aircraft collection. It's easily a whole and full afternoon to wander around and enjoy. Two hours would be seriously rushing if you enjoy that sort of stuff.

On an international front if you ever find yourself in Paris France there's two must visit museums. The aerospace museum at Le Bourget airport (where Lindberg landed as I recall) and right in Paris the Musee d'Arts et Metres. And there's supposed to be a couple of accents in there but I'm not switching my keys over to find them. Le Bourget is a total drug hit for anyone with a thing for aircraft. And us home shop types will positively melt when you see the Arts et Metres museum... hint... there's no "art" other than breath taking craftsmanship in tools, measuring instruments and other mechanical ways. I'm not exaggerating at all when I call it a Tour De Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    There is nothing like the Henry Ford Museum. It puts the Smithsonian to shame.
    30 years ago it was fantastic but about 3/4 of what used to be there is now gone. It has gone modern (mostly empty space) and not really worth going to anymore.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I had better get a plug for the museum where I do most of my machining: http://www.helicoptermuseum.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    30 years ago it was fantastic but about 3/4 of what used to be there is now gone. It has gone modern (mostly empty space) and not really worth going to anymore.
    I went to the Smithsonian and the Henry Ford about 5 years ago and the Henry Ford is better! (except for aviation). The Ford has the world's largest Steam collection in the world.

I'll have to add Henry Ford museum to my todo-list.
    Been to London Natural History Museum and Science Museum, might visit Deutsches Museum(world's largest museum of science and technolog), Deutsches Technikmuseum or Mercedes-Benz museum this winter..
    My father said that he could have spend several days in the Deutsches Museum

From a machinery and engine standpoint the Henry Ford is greatly reduced in scope from what it was years ago. The folks in command apparently decided that all that dusty old machinery all "looked the same" to the average visitor, so they thinned out the stock. Back in the 20's old man Henry procured each piece because EACH piece represented some significant (perhaps subtle) advancement in technology. Never the less, if you haven't been... make it a point to visit. Some remarkable machines and tools. The Museum has what is reputed to be the oldest surviving example of a Newcomen atmospheric steam engine... older that anything still in England ( because Henry "procured" it from there).

Joe B

Henry Ford museum is awesome, need two days for it. The Airforce museum in Dayton is awesome. The Smithsonian located next to Dulles Airport is awesome. Museum of Flight is decent. Steam Town in Scranton is decent. Railroad museum in Sacramento is really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
    so they thinned out the stock.
    Joe B
    The proper term is decimated. Old Henry is probably turning over in his grave. Or is being roasted on a spit, he wasn't that nice a guy.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/