Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: museums

Default museums

Just got back from visiting the Boeing assembly plant in Everett- what a place! Also went to the Evergreen museum in McMinnville- saw the spruce goose, an SR71, lots of other planes and choppers. The aerospace museum on the same site was awesome too. Spent almost a full day there. Highly recommend.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    Just got back from visiting the Boeing assembly plant in Everett- what a place! Also went to the Evergreen museum in McMinnville- saw the spruce goose, an SR71, lots of other planes and choppers. The aerospace museum on the same site was awesome too. Spent almost a full day there. Highly recommend.
    I worked for six months in the Everett plant. Sometimes on my lunch break I would walk on the cat-walks below the ceiling girders, to take in the vastness of the place. There was also a riveting shop, where I learned the virtue of Sparkplug ear-plugs, helping myself with a supply of them from the free dispenser.

My work was on the 777, and the only time I flew on one I said to my seat-mate, pointing to the engines, "I designed those." Actually, Boeing only does the EBU (engine build-up), and I had done the heat transfer analyses.
    Allan Ostling

If you ever make it down to Deming New Mexico they have an awesome museum too. The Deming Mimbres museum is referred to as the little Smithsonian. It has a huge amount of western stuff from clothing to dolls to everything else western but also has guns, military stuff and almost anything else you can think of. Free admission too but there is a place for donations. It sits about 33 miles North of the Mexico border but used to be the border back in the day. I highly recommend it.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

It appears that you missed the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

http://www.museumofflight.org/

Only a short way off I-5, easy to get to. Plan your next trip.

yep... well worth a day or two.

There is nothing like the Henry Ford Museum. It puts the Smithsonian to shame.

for "Air and Space", I think that the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton OH is hard to beat... and it's FREE.

Joe B

If you get a chance, and some on here are not that far away..
    Check out Duetsches Museum.. in Munich... on an island in the river..
    Some very cool machinery and so much more..
    If you only get 1/2 a day there, you will wish for more or go back again..

But I never got to Henry Ford or Smithsonian, wonder how they compare.

since your in the area you might like http://www.worldofspeed.org/ just south of Portland and right on I-5.

lg
    no neat sig line

I did do the museum of flight some years ago- and caught the airshow at the same time. We didn't know about the airshow, so that was a bonus.

Was a bit of a trip to get to the Evergreen museum, but still within my accessible area. Another one I enjoyed was the naval undersea museum in Bremerton, Washington. I'm hoping to be able to go to the east coast later this year, and to some cool places around Cape Cod. I actually want to see some of the Carolinas, plus go as far north as we can stand- Cabot Trail, etc.

I know we'll have to pick and choose places to go- things to see- and we'll miss many good ones. Don't want to burn out either.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-