Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Self reflection on our hobbies

I found my design for the layout above. I also built an electronic switch board with a picture of the track and buttons to switch directions on all of the rail switches:

Here is the AnyRail5 design file I created using ( https://www.anyrail.com/en )

http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/final_basement6.any

Image:

Work hard play hard

I just noticed that's not my final design... Lemme find it

EDIT: Shucks, I think I did the final version on an old laptop that is now long gone.
    Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 01-10-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Work hard play hard

I found the final layout that I actually built. The yellow switches are active switches. Was lots of fun but got boring after awhile

Work hard play hard

My dad was into HO trains for a while. He built a plywood table setup that completely filled a 12 x 14 shed with a small cutout in the middle for an operator. When you opened the shed door you had to crawl under the table to get to the controls. I spent more time using an eraser on the tracks to keep it working than I ever did playing with it. If we hadn't used it in a week or so it would eat up a whole afternoon just to clean the tracks.

At some point before I met her my wife was into Z gage trains. One year I built a plywood platform around our Christmas tree and setup one of her trains on it. I was not impressed with the train itself. Seemed to be a lot noiser than the HO stuff my dad and I played with when I was a kid.

One of my grandmother's gave me my Uncle Johnny's trains from when he was a kid while I was staying at my other grandmothers. They were older larger stamped sheet metal trains. Really nice stuff. H scale maybe. My other grandmother was an antique dealer and she wound up keeping my trains. I wasn't happy about it, but my folks would not do anything and I was a kid. I'm not into trains at all ever since. Its just something I once played with. I only setup my wife's train that one time because I thought it would be something she might appreciate as one of those greeting card picture holiday moments. She did, and it was... but just for a moment. Did I saw it was loud?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    My dad was into HO trains for a while. He built a plywood table setup that completely filled a 12 x 14 shed with a small cutout in the middle for an operator. When you opened the shed door you had to crawl under the table to get to the controls. I spent more time using an eraser on the tracks to keep it working than I ever did playing with it. If we hadn't used it in a week or so it would eat up a whole afternoon just to clean the tracks.
    I had the same problem keeping the tracks clean. I had a special engine that I used to drive on the tracks pushing a small stone to clean them and it still wouldn't always keep the tracks clean enough. I also used a wireless DCC system with a pair of hand-held remotes that my Son and I would use to control our trains. It that let you select which engine to talk to, control the speed, direction, turn lights on/off, toot the horn, etc. It was loads of fun but unfortunately got boring really quick.

Work hard play hard

Using mirrors in your Lego room impresses the visiting kids!
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 01-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.

All of my hobbies have been transient in nature, spanning a year or two before I move to something else. I enjoy learning the skills required for each hobby more than the hobby itself.

It's easy to spend months or years learning the finer points of things like locksmithing, metal working or welding. Just when you think you have mastered all aspects of using a mill or lathe, there is always something that pops up to catch your attention and starts the learning cycle again.

The trains never held my attention. Once you set it up and showed off your handiwork, the fun was finished.

Dan
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post

The trains never held my attention. Once you set it up and showed off your handiwork, the fun was finished.

Dan

HEY... we agree on something.....!

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

Using mirrors in your Lego room impresses the visitors kids!
    OMG, i almost forgot about our Lego collection. It takes up an large entire room just to hold all of the bins of Lego and is over 1000 lbs. I also sorted/organized special Lego pieces in 15-20 storage bins. Now I want to pull all of the legos out and play with them again with my son

Here is a Lego house that my Son made and went inside. You can kind of see my son inside the Lego house:

Work hard play hard

I found a video of my son inside of his Lego house. Good times

Work hard play hard