Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Self reflection on our hobbies

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I guess it's like going from a manual mode to CNC Without DCC, you're basically stuck with playing with one engine on the track at a time. With DCC, the track is always fully powered and each engine is fully controllable like a real engine would be. Even with DCC it got boring quickly, but I think it would have got boring almost immediately without DCC.
    Around 1966 we got an Eldon Road Race set for Christmas.. it had that feature... you could run 2 cars on one lane with seperate controls.. one of the cars should have been Sheriff Buford Pussers patrol car with a Setina push bar up front.. be great for ramming your brother's car off the track..

I'm still fighting the effects of early retirement after 40 years of straight work. If I'm not 'working' I feel like I'm cheating or something, so I keep my hand in with a prior employer working on their code when they get into one of their periodic crunch modes. It pays as consultant work so I can't complain about the pay, but then it feels like I'm spoiling my retirement by being obligated to work (and it doesn't help that I get the tasks others can't do, often the result of butchering the code in obscure ways). On the other hand it gives me some funds for new machines and tooling, so maybe I shouldn't be complaining...

As to hobbies I have done a lot of RC in the past, building everything from RC tanks, hovercraft and helicopters (during the stone age when you didn't have GPS or 3d gyro stabilization), making guns and knives. Anymore I play with a live steam 3 truck Shay I built in 7 1/2" (1.5" to the foot scale) I built 10 years ago and am building a second Shay in 2.5" scale that I work on in fits and starts.

But like others I sometimes seem to spend a lot of my shop time rebuilding machinery, just made the parts needed to mate a spiral milling gearbox to my Hardinge UM and I'm now playing with that. I'm sure I had a reason to get it working when I started the project but it's not so clear now...

Up until about 10 years ago my shop was always just a tool to let me make the things I enjoyed using. But with my retirement move and promise to myself to build my "dream shop" the shop itself has taken on a whole new life. Even now I still delight in finding a drawer or cupboard and spending an afternoon or evening organizing with spacers and custom made inserts to hold stuff and make it easier to organize. And it started when I opted to make the custom cabinetry and benches and tart up the rooms themselves.

It's at the point where at least one friend keeps telling me "Stop making stuff to make stuff and just start making stuff".... except he doesn't call it "stuff"

My shop stuff to final stuff ratio is better now than before. But I still spend a day or so per month re-organizing the shelves and drawers to compact things down and get tidier so things are easier to put away and find. So hell yeah, the Shop is a "Thing".... and I'm OK with that....

I tend to make "things" for people I know but mostly I make "tools" for me... And I'm OK with that too.

I'm not a model train person. But if I were I'd like to think that I'd focus more on a shelf like track that runs around a room so the room can still be used for other uses.... which might require a draw bridge at the doorway....

Making stuff to make stuff, vs making stuff.... I hear that. We will all have our best shop just before we croak and don't get to use it......

One thing I need to do in the various shop and lab areas is to go through andd get rid of all the "storage solutions" that have accumulated. And maybe some of what they are storing. No need for what does not get used. even if it was acquired for use, if it does not GET use, then why is it around?

I need to do something, since I have not yet solved the "expand the shop" problem. I DID find that there are reasons why the plan I had before does not quite work..... the 3D model was good, but there are some not-included items and considerations which make it somewhat impractical.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    even if it was acquired for use, if it does not GET use, then why is it around?
    the answer to that is quite obvious, its the only way to ensure it won't be desperately needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    the answer to that is quite obvious, its the only way to ensure it won't be desperately needed
    There you go again giving us a perfectly good reason to hoard all that "stuff" we have that never seems to be used...

Whenever I get a 15 or 20 yard dumpster for every spring cleaning, I can always fill it.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Whenever I get a 15 or 20 yard dumpster for every spring cleaning, I can always fill it.
    So, you buy more crap than any 10 members of this forum combined, and send a large dumpster full of other crap to the landfill every year?

A model RR layout is never finished: changes are made and more is added. Trust me, it is a lifetime project. And people like watching the trains run.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I love trains, model trains, etc... But!!! With model trains, you eventually end up with a layout that becomes static, takes up a huge amount of space, and zero replayability... What's really the point?
    Live steam is different, the trains themselves require maintenance in a machine shop, and you can travel around the country visiting other layouts.

Home shop machining on the other hand is an unlimited sandbox, that does not end up like a model train layout.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    So, you buy more crap than any 10 members of this forum combined, and send a large dumpster full of other crap to the landfill every year?
    In with the new and out with the old, but often the old takes awhile before it goes -- at least until our yearly spring clean out.
    Work hard play hard