Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self reflection on our hobbies

Hybrid View

Default Self reflection on our hobbies

I love trains, model trains, etc... But!!! With model trains, you eventually end up with a layout that becomes static, takes up a huge amount of space, and zero replayability... What's really the point?
    Live steam is different, the trains themselves require maintenance in a machine shop, and you can travel around the country visiting other layouts.

Home shop machining on the other hand is an unlimited sandbox, that does not end up like a model train layout.

We are heavy into Lego trains. The trains comes out, stay around for a while, then get put away.
    You run into trouble when you start building out of lumber. The proverbial old man with half a million board feet of lumber dedicated to his layout covered in astroturf down in the basement.
    Garden trains are pretty cool.

My hobbies I guess are cars and tools. I like to do all sorts of things but cars and tools rule my life.
    Andy

"It's not the destination, but the journey ...." ...applies to life itself and maybe even more so to hobbies.

I spend more time making stuff to use for making other stuff than I make stuff to use.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Live steam is different, the trains themselves require maintenance in a machine shop, and you can travel around the country visiting other layouts.
    You get to use the -400 on your off time for personal use right? Hopefully fuel included LOL

Hi,

I think I've said this before, but my little hobby shop is my hedge against the future mental stagnation I fear. It's not the end product I make, but rather the mental challenge of the design and making. The challenge of the process is what matters to me.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

If you are going to build a train layout don't do it in the basement, the garage is much better. That way when you end up in the old age home and the family takes an axe to your hobby it is much easier for them to throw it into a dumpster. Be considerate of them.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I've always had too many hobbies.

Skydiving
    Motorcycles
    Flying
    R/C planes building+flying
    Yachting and fishing
    Woodworking
    Machine Shop
    Electronics
    Extreme Software/Hardware design ($$$ the breadwinner $$$)
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I love trains, model trains, etc... But!!! With model trains, you eventually end up with a layout that becomes static, takes up a huge amount of space, and zero replayability... What's really the point?

Home shop machining on the other hand is an unlimited sandbox, that does not end up like a model train layout.
    I actually got into model trains for a short period of time with my son. I built this layout which was fun for a few months but eventually took it apart to use the space for something else.

Work hard play hard