Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corded .25" straight die grinder recommendations

I use Makita with long reach, lots of power and smooth running, single speed 20,000 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    I have a single speed, corded, Makita and a variable speed, 20v, cordless, DeWalt in addition to my pneumatic ones. I prefer the Makita when I need lots of power, otherwise I grab the DeWalt for the variable speed and portability. Kinda wish the Makita was variable speed too.
    I use a Dremel foot pedal with my single speed Makita, works great. There used to be more of a foot pedal selection a few years ago, now Dremel may be one of the last.

Foredom is still big.... foot pedal? no problem. I have many and they are just the usual "universal motor" speed controller no matter the plug configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by qsimdo View Post
    you made such a compelling argument you'll be pleased to know i did purchase the makita.
    Variable speed up to 29000, a clutching arrangement on the arbor in case i bury the cutter
    and a paddle switch.
    What more can life offer?!
    gd0800c ?
    “You learn from mistakes, but success gives you the courage to go on and do even more. ”

― Christiaan Barnard

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    gd0800c ?
    0801C...a different version?
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EddyCurr View Post
    gd0800c ?
    0801C...a different version?
    Yes, evidently.

The GD0800C is good for 28K RPM and weighs 3.7 lbs.

Your GD0801C is uprated to 29K and scales 1/2 lb more at 4.2 lbs. (At a glance, other features like 6.6A, three varispeed ranges, SDS and so on remain the same.)

My searches on the description provided in your post only turned up the 28K GD0800C model at vendors. I asked because of the discrepancy in RPM. Unless there was a price incentive in favour of the older version to take into account, I would prefer to have the faster, beefier, newer version. (People, post the model no of the tools you write about.)

I bought a DeWalt DW887 years ago for the same reason you stated at the beginning of the thread. In addition to being a 25K fixed speed, 3A, 3.25 lb tool; it was also a factory refurb. It serves the intended purpose, didn't cost very much and it hasn't caused any grief.

While your GD0801C appears to go well above and beyond what you said you were looking for at the outset, I imagine you'll utter a very satisfied 'ahhhhh .... ' every time you use it.
    “You learn from mistakes, but success gives you the courage to go on and do even more. ”

― Christiaan Barnard

Get a bigger compressor. IMO an electric won't match the feel and abilities of an air grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestgnome View Post
    Get a bigger compressor. IMO an electric won't match the feel and abilities of an air grinder.
    I agree w/ your remarks about air vs electric - but air is expensive. Expensive to acquire, to accomodate, to operate and to maintain. Some impromptu grinding tasks are so simple and quick that electric makes more sense than running up the compressor to reach operating pressure w/ an 80 gal tank, smoothing some slag or bevelling an edge and then discarding the remainder of the contents to leakdown before next use.

As for capacity. I can't speak for QSIMDO, but my biggest compressor is rated for around 19 CFM at 175 PSI while turning at a relaxed pace of 635 RPM. Not as capable as some, more capable than others - plenty adequate for my purposes.

― Christiaan Barnard

Quote Originally Posted by Forestgnome View Post
    IMO an electric won't match the feel and abilities of an air grinder.
    What air grinders match the low rpm torque that an electric motor speed controller provides?

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    What air grinders match the low rpm torque that an electric motor speed controller provides?
    What would you need low rpm torque for?