Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Lathes have HELICAL Cut Gears?

Default What Lathes have HELICAL Cut Gears?

I know Monarch Lathes have Helical cut gears.

Any Idea what other Lathes have Helical Cut Gears?

Polamco TUM series and other have them in the QC gearboxes and headstock. My Howa also in the headstock
    Last edited by lakeside53; 01-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.

My buddy is restoring a BC Ames lathe that has helical back gears, I believe. Don't know about the change gears. Probably the only lathe with a square tailstock ram, though.

Here are the headstock gears on a dainty little 16x54 Monarch Series 61. That bull gear alone probably has more steel than all the chinesium gears in a PM or Grizzly lathe headstock.

However, despite the constant mesh helical gears, the Monarch's were not as high rpm capable as some competitors. The American Tool Works Pacemaker was available with a 2000 rpm top speed even in the 1940's, using primarily straight cut gears. Of course both were engineered to last for decades.

But the really terrible problem common to all of these lathes... And it is a horrible flaw, really. As much as I might want, I cannot own _all_ of them. Even as I find them, and get all worked up into a ferocious lather, I must resist. It takes levels of endurance and conviction that rival Shakleton.

Photo's from Baitshop's restoration on PM.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-61-a-347701/?

[QUOTE=Glug;1215796]Here are the headstock gears on a dainty little 16x54 Monarch Series 61. That bull gear alone probably has more steel than all the chinesium gears in a PM or Grizzly lathe headstock

Hmmmm...Looks just like Abom79's lathe. No. What it looked like when new.

How about double-helical or herringbone headstocks...

Sidney comes to mind, but I also found a photo of a Darling & Sellers headstock.

THe Holbrook Model H has some helical gearing to the spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    However, despite the constant mesh helical gears, the Monarch's were not as high rpm capable as some competitors. The American Tool Works Pacemaker was available with a 2000 rpm top speed even in the 1940's, using primarily straight cut gears. Of course both were engineered to last for decades.
    I think that was mostly a limitation of the spindle bearings and not any of the gearing. I recall that Harry Bloom wanted more oomph from his Monarch (CY?) and Monarch said that a pulley change from 1000 to 1500 rpm was fine. A lot of those older machines were made for big work where you wanted fairly low speed for the big work and really didn't need the speed that you want for smaller stuff - that's for the little lathes.

those Holbrooks are nice. I've the little B8 I've been reconditioning, such a beautifully made machine.

Quote Originally Posted by rkepler View Post
    I think that was mostly a limitation of the spindle bearings and not any of the gearing. I recall that Harry Bloom wanted more oomph from his Monarch (CY?) and Monarch said that a pulley change from 1000 to 1500 rpm was fine. A lot of those older machines were made for big work where you wanted fairly low speed for the big work and really didn't need the speed that you want for smaller stuff - that's for the little lathes.
    My 1948 20x48 (22.5" actual) High Duty Pacemaker is 800 rpm, but was available as 1200 and 1600 depending on pulley.

Anyone know where I can get an 8 sheave motor pulley, cheap?

You don't say why you are interested, but I assume it's a lot to do with the noise.

My Colchester Bantam with straight cut gears wails like a banshee in the top two speeds, so if I were to change I'd also be looking for helical.

Helical in change gears would be rather impractical - dealing with the alternate axial forces would be tricky and would require a pretty secure method of locking the gears onto the shafts.

Still, my 1990 Alfa doesn't even have helical on its reverse gear.
    Richard