Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the Best place to buy Taper Shank Drills greater then 1.2"

Default Where is the Best place to buy Taper Shank Drills greater then 1.2"

I need to fill in some gaps in my MT2 drill bits.
    Where are the best prices for drills over 1/2"

Thanks in advance.
    Be_Zero_Be
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You Never Used To Be Older

Not sure if they make them much bigger than 1.2" There is a reason that morse taper drills are limited to sizes bigger than their tang.

Sarge41
    Last edited by sarge41; 01-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Hi,

I've bought 2MT drills up to an inch. They aren't common and they ain't cheap. I've gotten them from MSC in the past. But haven't bought any like that recently. The question is how fast do you need them and what are you willing to pay?
    Last edited by dalee100; 01-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

If its short holes look at annular cutters like Rotobroach.
    You won't like the cost of the holder, but you can make one.

Did you get scared off by the prices at McMaster? They've got a 7/8 at $87.

A look at KBC showed their import KBC branded line has a 7/8 drill for $35. But then the other premium Precision Twist Drill line they also sell lists the 7/8 MT2 size at $120.

Are you just looking for sizes suitable to hog out to and then switch to boring to size? If so I see that there's a 10 pc set out of the UK for around $100US. But it's metric from 14.5 to 23mm. Which is just fine if it's a prep hole to get ready for boring to size.

There's also the annular hole drills. But those have depth limits as noted.

At this point if I were looking to set up with some large hole drilling in mind from 5/8 to 1" or so on an MT2 arbor I might look at the idea of carbide spade drill points and a couple of suitable shank/holders. No idea how they would work out price wise though.

Some years back the local budget tool store had 9 pc sets from 1/2 to 1" in MT2 for cheap. Can't seem to find them online for you at this point. The set I've got gives me 1/16" steps which is fine for me. Or do you want finer steps? Might not be an option though. Neither Ebay, Banggood or Amazon shows such sets.

MT2 drills rarely go above 1" as sarge41 says. I have turned down some 1" with MT3 shanks to 5/8", 16mm to go in a chuck. There are MT2- 3 step up holders available which loose length/height, but there is a maximum safe torque for each size of morse taper. If you are drilling wood or aluminium, then with care you can go quite large.
    I get drills on ebay UK, the USA site would certainly have plenty. Look for quality brands, made in the USA, Japan or Europe.
    Last edited by old mart; 01-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

I've bought 2MT drills up to an inch. They aren't common and they ain't cheap. I've gotten them from MSC in the past. But haven't bought any like that recently. The question is how fast do you need them and what are you willing to pay?
    Maybe with adapter?
    https://www.zoro.com/dormer-jobber-t...00/i/G8958945/

Pricing is a tad high for my taste though...

Guys, the title says 1.2" but in the post he typed 1/2". I'm pretty sure the 1.2 is a typo since the period and oblique are right next to each other.... In fact if I had a nickel.....

Try FleaBay. Some auction sellers will have groups of MT2 drills that haven't been re-sharpened so many times that they are mere stubs.

1.2 was a typo.
    Greater that 1/2" up to 1" is what I am looking for.
    Sorry for the lack of clarity.
    Be_Zero_Be
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You Never Used To Be Older