Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop inside the house

Unless your wife is also into machining... Very Bad Idea.
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Like I said, Check with your insurance, at least they can tell you what precautions to take, even if they allow a shop in your house. If you do happen to have a fire and your insurance tells you "So sorry Charlie" you can tell them BCider said it would be just fine.

Don't even think about putting a machine shop inside your home.
    Work hard play hard

I know a number of people into "model engineering" that have shops in a spare room. They have cute little Taig mills, and dainty little 7 x 20 lathes, and little tiny touch sensitive drill presses. The whole shop is just so KEWT. These guys make little model steam engines, tiny trains, and one guy makes little jet engines for RC planes. Their original stock gets as large as a few cubic inches and weighs almost a pound...

Mars_red has a machine shop in the house. You know the guy - the one who uses a penny next to everything he makes to show scale. I think Clickspring works in his house ...

it's possible, but most people who do it successfully seem to do work on small, delicate, often beautiful projects.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    you'll be single soon.
    So what your saying is it could work out for him?

You should also replace the cheap hollowcore door with a metal door your biggest hurdle is insurance I honestly think with everything involved you'd be better off buying a shed or a shipping container to store stuff and clean out the garage

My thought is that it depends entirely on the scale of work you do. If you routinely work with 20lb chunks of raw material, better to go with a separate shed/basement shop, smaller projects can work well in 'house'.
    From experience, stick with wood floors, no carpet.
    Having an understanding other half is critical, and remember, you can't complain about their projects.

OK, he is in Tampa Bay area, and he is talking about a concrete floor. So this is a "slab house", NO basement.

The shop, unless it is in the taig lathe category, WILL tear up a wood or laminate floor. If you have what is called "linoleum" (and isn't) then you may be OK. Forget carpet, it will be BAD. Maybe put a slab of carpet in front of the door, to wipe off chips.

In your area, a shop in the garage is perfectly practical, whereas here it is not (we are in the process of getting 8 inches of snow tonight), because of heating considerations. That is a much better place. If you had a basement, that would be a fine place for it. In a spare bedroom, not too good, the walls will get oil slung on them, etc.

You need to figure on there being metal dust from grinding, filings, sharp curly swarf, oil, regular dust, general dirt, rusty dust, and so forth. Basically "Industrial debris" is what you will have. That's fine in a basement, or a garage, but deep into the living quarters, no, I'd just not do it.

At least one guy who was a well known author of metalworking books (Rudy Kouhaupt) did have his shop in an oversized closet, but he must have been the world's finest neatnik, since machining is definitely not a clean process.

I have most of my shop in the basement, and that works out OK. I do not currently have a welder, but if I did I would NOT weld down there. Welding is dirtier and messier than machining, and smells worse. In your area you can work outside when it isn't raining, so there is no reason not to weld outside.

Too bad basements just do not work there......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Good luck!

Default In Canada most hobby shops are in the basement.

Most smaller hobby shops are in basements.
    Many are in part of " Finished" basements. that is next to well finished living spaces.
    In extremes of weather they are much more comfortable than shops in garages or sheds
    Most " Sane" hobbyists keep such item as as oxy sets , large propane bottles and arc welders eleswhere.
    In Britain I used what had been the dining room of a terrace house as my workshop.
    We had to redecorate that room before we sold the house.
    Given my experience with an insurance company and an auto accident I regard all insurance companies as reliable as my ability to predict the outcome of horse races, assume that I am not covered and just try my very best to avoid creating dangerous circumstances within the shop.
    IF you have pets you MUST keep a pretty clean shop, or be prepared for the odd vet bill for cut paws.
    Your wife MUST be tolerant, finding the odd bit of swarf in the carpet or bed is, sooner or later , inevitable.
    Unlike the naysayers I thoroughly recommend having a shop in your house.
    Regards David Powell.