Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop inside the house

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemo View Post
    The real answer is getting the old cars out of the garage. I have a lot of sweat-equity in one of them, and they are on the cusp of "collectible". They aren't part of my retirement plan, but if my wife can sell them for good money when I drop dead, I suppose that would have been worth it.
    Get that stuff out of the garage immediately and setup a shop, what the hell is wrong with you???

When I setup my 1st shop in my garage back in 2004, the car went outside.. Parked on the side of the house out of the way.. Bothered me for about 5 minutes, then I looked at all of the space my shop had without the car...

Work hard play hard

I had a friend in West Palm Beach Florida that had a shop in a bedroom .
    He had a 9 inch Southbend, a table drill press and the small Clausing mill, on a Linolium floor.
    Had a shop vac in the room and industrial carpeting. He had two pairs of slippers at the door and changed shoes at the door.
    Made small parts for steam engines and his biggest worry was rust, so the house had A/C .
    The lathe in his garage was a pile of Iron oxide.

He did not have a problem with smells, but tended to use mild lubes like parrafin wax for cuttings

Rich

PS Of course he did a lot of Cast Iron and brass, so lube was not needed
    Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 01-12-2019 at 05:27 PM.

I had my shop in a spare bedroom of one of my previous houses. It had wood floors.
    All welding was done outside. I had a steel grid laying just inside the doorway, to scrape the chips off the soles of my shoes. I had a Shoptask at the time, so the machine was not big. When i moved a South Bend 13 in however, the cart left dents in the floor from the front door to the room. Also, when i got a parts washer, the smell permiated the house. Had to remove it.
    Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

Current Machines:
    South Bend 13 Lathe (being rebuilt)
    Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
    Garvin 2A horizontal mill
    Ohio 20 shaper
    Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

Installing shelving that goes up to the top of the ceiling in my workshop, requires the use of a ladder to reach the top shelves. My worksop is a two car garage, and space is a premium. I could use a six car garage, and I would fill it up. At least everything has a place now, without covering every available flat working surface. Getting to the point that I want to throw away valuable items simply because it is the easiest thing to do. Going to have another give away for some odds and ends.

You can easily make your shop dog friendly if you're take some precautions my pups follow me everywhere they have their own section with beds etc and special shop food in the fridge they know what welding is and know when that stuff comes on they have to go outside only thing you gotta watch is steel chips and especially stainless I've got mats that catch most and I always clean and vacuum after I'd rather hang out with them in the shop than most people

Consider car covers and moving the cars outside.

My shop is in the basement, so there can be some pretty annoying smells in the house. I think the worst was when I was removing parts from an epoxy circuit board using flame. Probably the next worst was just a few weeks ago when I was grinding a tooth so it could be re-inserted into my friends jaw. That stuff reeks.

I'm in the process of building a fume control hood in the basement. The thing that most concerns me is how to draw out fumes without also drawing in cold outside air. I'll have to heat the incoming air, which means I could either use a heat-exchanger, or simply an inline heater in the cold air line.

Either way, if you can arrange to 'refresh' the air in just the workshop, and arrange for the worst area to get the best 'extraction', you might have the problem solved.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    We can probably stop giving him advice.
    Now you have been on this forum long enough to know we can't do that.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Recently I been experimenting with different kinds of oil other than stinky sulfur cutting oil.
    I am surprised how well kitchen cooking oil does.
    It doesnt smell up like sulfur oil and when you taking heavy cuts with hot chips, it smells like french fries.!!!

My well-used Sherline lathe and mill (both with related accessories) reside in the basement on their own dedicated workbench. That's as much as I want (or is tolerated, I sorta forget which) in the house. I work on small things there, mostly in the winter. My basement shop takes up exactly 8 (the bench top is 4'x2') sq-ft of floor space, not including the space for my basement shop stool.

It helps - a lot - when domestic appliances are occasionally repaired in that 8 sq-ft space.

My G4000 lathe and G0704 mill (both with related accessories), V/H bandsaw and rolling cart o' tooling live in the unheated garage, along with an Oxy/Acety set-up. I work on large(r, not really large) things out in the garage in the spring, summer and fall. My garage shop takes up exactly 70 sq-ft of floor space, no room except for my machines and my two garage shop stools, but not including a knock-down table that is often in the driveway for assembly and welding/brazing.

Ideal? Hardly.
    Works for me? Oh yeah... and I'm so lucky to have both spaces.

Doc Savage had only one Fortress of Solitude - I have two.