Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model A enthusiasts?

Default Model A enthusiasts?

I've recently become dangerously obsessed with owning a Ford Model A pickup. I have a couple of motorcycle projects to finish before I can buy anything so I'm indulging my curiosity by watching YouTube videos about rebuilding Model A engines.

What I want is a bare-bones, no interior, compromised, flat-black mongrel that I can modify on a whim. I want a Model A engine, trans, rear, and wire wheels, etc., but would like to have modern bearings, adustable valves, etc. I am anticipating building a motor starting with a bare block.

I'm assuming there's people here who know about this stuff. I'm not a good enough machinist for engine work so I'd need to find resources in the Philadelphia PA area to get that work done.

Anyone with experience care to comment?

In my opinion, you should consider a Model B engine as the basis for your build. The B engine was offered in 1932 as an alternate power plant for the new V8. The B engine had full presssure lubrication and, I think, a counterbalanced crank shaft. You can probably get insert bearing conversions for both the A and B engines. The B engine looks like the A, and some enthusiasts are using these engines in their A models because they stand up better to high speed driving. It has been a long time since I owned and drove an A model.

[QUOTE=Jim Williams;1216159]In my opinion, you should consider a Model B engine as the basis for your build.[l/QUOTE]

Interesting. One of the trucks I saw for sale had a model B engine and I wondered what the difference was. Something like that would be fine with me, I just want something modest from roughly that period, not an OHV V8.

Wasn't Popcorn Sutton a model A enthusiast???

Commander_Chaos.....What you've described sounds like a traditional styled hot rod to me. Here's a link to a great forum. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/ Each month there's usually a thread dedicated to 4-bangers. The HAMB could be a great resource for you.

Lynn

You mean something like this?
    Brian Rupnow

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    You mean something like this?
    That's a beautiful truck but far nicer than what I want. I saw one in Massachusetts that had been built from parts and painted with a brush. It was love at first sight. The only thing it didn't have that I want was a completely rebuilt stock-ish drivetrain.

For price comparison, friend just went to an auction here in OK that had a complete original non running A pickup. Went for between 8 and 9 grand, couldn't remember the exact amount. He quit when it went over 5 grand. Needed restoring but was straight with no rust.

Quote Originally Posted by BobinOK View Post
    For price comparison, friend just went to an auction here in OK that had a complete original non running A pickup. Went for between 8 and 9 grand, couldn't remember the exact amount. He quit when it went over 5 grand. Needed restoring but was straight with no rust.
    The one I mentioned with the Model B engine went for 8900 which I thought was reasonable. It was driveable but needed side and rear glass and had no title. I've heard you can get a title through Vermont but I'll make absolutely certain of that before I buy anything.

I know there are conversion kits to put a t5 transmission into the A’s. My dad picked up the trans for his roadster but that is as far as he got. I know you said stock drive line but I think this would be a worthy upgrade if you are wanting to do any decent driving with it. It would also take someone that knows to tell that it wasn’t stock.