Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a self centering vise on your lathe or

Default Do you have a self centering vise on your lathe or

Have you used one on your Lathe?
    Iím just curious about the uses I guess.
    I know a machines uses are only limited to
    your imagination a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by hammernanvil View Post
    Have you used one on your Lathe?
    I’m just curious about the uses I guess.
    I know a machines uses are only limited to
    your imagination a lot of the time.
    Do you mean a scroll chuck?

It you mean a scroll then yes I got lucky when I bought my lathe and the chuck that came with it has very little run out even compared to much much more expensive far better chucks

No. I don’t mean a scroll chuck.

Uses? On a mill it's handy for when you are doing a production run requiring holes features in the middle of pieces that may or may not be uniform in size.
    Measure twice. Cut once. Weld. Repeat.
    ( Welding solves many problems.)

On the mill it might work out well. But I can't think of any reason at all why I'd use it on a lathe.

Besides, it's the old story about play and centering tolerance. We don't trust scroll chucks to center to a tenth or two so we use four jaw independent chucks or other means along with a dial gauge to center the parts to suit our requirements of the moment. For the same reason I can't see trusting a self centering chuck to be consistent from part to part within a few tenths either. And if I'm going to have to edge find or zero in a bore or other feature I may as well just use the regular fixed and moving jaw vise on my mill.

So I consider it so specialized that I doubt I'd find all that much of a reason to use one often enough to justify the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    On the mill it might work out well. But I can't think of any reason at all why I'd use it on a lathe.

Besides, it's the old story about play and centering tolerance. We don't trust scroll chucks to center to a tenth or two so we use four jaw independent chucks or other means along with a dial gauge to center the parts to suit our requirements of the moment. For the same reason I can't see trusting a self centering chuck to be consistent from part to part within a few tenths either. And if I'm going to have to edge find or zero in a bore or other feature I may as well just use the regular fixed and moving jaw vise on my mill.

So I consider it so specialized that I doubt I'd find all that much of a reason to use one often enough to justify the purchase.
    Still trying to figure out why you would use a vise on a lathe...

For decades a vice mounted on the cross slide was the only way model engineers could mill items, as either horizontal or vertical mills were a rarity in small workshops.

Then the Dore Westbury came along as a set of castings to machine your own, and it started a flood of relatively cheap Taiwanese mill / drills that continues to this day but from China

Self centring vises are mainly for use with drilling machines. Repeatability and clamping pressure make them less useful for milling.

Well I’ve been trying to find time to go and
    buy this vise. It was clearly on a Lathe as
    you can see by looking at it that it still has
    part of a carriage mounted to the bottom
    side of it, and you can see the V grooves
    that ride on the lathe bed itself.

You’re right, a self centering vise would
    normally be put on a mill or drill and not a
    lathe, but someone must have had a use
    for it on their lathe.
    I plan to use it on my mill for specific things.