Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "craigslist find" thread.

Default The "craigslist find" thread.

Many forums have a "craigslist find" thread of things people find on craigslist pertaining to the forum.

I searched and didn't notice any, not even any close enough to just post in.

So I guess here is one to share what you find and others "in search of" might get a good deal on something.

Anyhow, I'll start.

I know people look for these. I personally would snatch this up in a heartbeat if I had the cash (not the asking price but close enough to it). Figured I would share for those who have been wanting one for ages.

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/...770493469.html

Last edited by vpt; 01-14-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Andy

This past summer and fall, I was looking everywhere for a mill to go in my garage. I really wanted a small horizontal with a vertical head, or a Clausing 8520. I thought I had settled on a Bridgeport round ram, Mhead.
    Then I found a Select OB on Craigslist. it is a older import and has scraped ways.
    Got it for a $grand. is that too much??

If we are not suppose to promote our own stuff for sale here, why is it ok to promote others?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    If we are not suppose to promote our own stuff for sale here, why is it ok to promote others?
    Who's promoting? We're just dreaming.

When you post an ad like that from CL you should also post a couple pics or do a screenshot of the ad because once
    the ad goes down the thread is almost useless...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Agree. I think we've had some folks recently post items they are selling here, and they disguised it by asking "are these good prices?"

Another perspective - some people put a lot of work and time searching for machines within a reasonable distance. When they get posted, it can really screw their deal. It can also tip dealers off.

I know I've bought machines where, until the deal closed, I was dreading someone posting it.

Gloats are good. We haven't had any in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Agree. I think we've had some folks recently post items they are selling here, and they disguised it by asking "are these good prices?"

Another perspective - some people put a lot of work and time searching for machines within a reasonable distance. When they get posted, it can really screw their deal. It can also tip dealers off.

I know I've bought machines where, until the deal closed, I was dreading someone posting it.

Gloats are good. We haven't had any in ages.
    So you wanted it for that cheap price, and did not want the seller wised up to know the going rate?

Just kidding... I have got some super deals also, and only in cases of certain seller types (the old widow who just does not know) do I wise them up and pay a better price. Commercial sellers, estate sale companies, etc should know , and if they do not, it is their lookout. (example: My $5 yes, five bucks, Benchmaster vertical head, commercial seller, covered in dirty gunk, but turned out to be fine under that)

It should be acceptable, and serve two purposes, to post the pics and provide a description without giving away where it is. Posting the ad link is pretty lazy, as well as a spoiler, actually.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 01-14-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    ... Gloats are good. We haven't had any in ages.
    I picked this up for $20 last month:

The needle was sluggish when I bought it but flushing the pivot mechanism for the tip with brake cleaner cleared it right up.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I picked this up for $20 last month:
    Sorry to hear about that.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Sorry to hear about that.....
    Let's hope that it was from widow who needed money to cover funeral cost

I'd buy that shaper in a heartbeat if it was closer. Shipping is usually a deal breaker for those down here in the machine desert. I'd even reconfigure all my DRO and tach wiring to allow spinning the turret around.