Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. anyone else have trouble with your shoelaces coming undone all the time?

Default O.T. anyone else have trouble with your shoelaces coming undone all the time?

Geeze I used to tease people about this and tell them to get velcro shoes but somethings going on with laces lately, they are too slippery and will not hold a lace knot worth a crap,,, i was tying my shoes like 4 or 5 times a day and it was really pissing me off!!!

but I came up with a fix, believe it or not wax will cure the problem as it makes the lace stiffer and sticky to itself - i put paddle wax for kayaking on but im sure ski wax or just rubbing a candle on the lace ends will do the trick,,, lace em up and don't undue them till you want them off your feet!!

My sneakers have laces but they are tied just tight enough to allow me to slide on/off my shoes without undoing the laces. They have been set like that since I bought them.
    Work hard play hard

That is a constant problem for me.
    Thanks! I will try the wax.
    Finding creative ways to turn material into scrap for decades.

Current Machines:
    South Bend 13 Lathe (being rebuilt)
    Bridgeport Mill (step pully J)
    Garvin 2A horizontal mill
    Ohio 20 shaper
    Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw

Back when I had lace up boots, I'd rub the laces with rosin or replace them with leather laces. Wax is a good idea, too.

I've recently gotten into mountaineering and all my mountaineering boots and rock shoes have nifty, sticky laces (or other cool lace keeping designs) to keep them from coming untied. Not sure why mainstream laces are still so slippery.

An alternate solution that works for me...

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/surgeonknot.htm
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Hair spray will work also.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

After you tie the knot inspect it and see if you are tying a granny knot instead of a square knot. If you are they come loose very easily. Easiest way to correct this problem it to tie the first half of the knot the other way. That is if you tie right over left first, then tie left over right first and finish as you normally would. I had this problem myself and could not keep leather laces tied. After I changed they almost never come loose. People tie this knot unconcously and sometimes fall into bad habits. Unless you use knots daily like a tree surgeon or a mountain climber you don't pay much attention to knots.

Rubbing with rosin works fine.

P.S. And if you lost your bow, it also gives you an opportunity to play violin using your shoelaces.

Double knot?

Sounds like my 5yr old could help you folks tie your shoe laces
    Work hard play hard