Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O.T. anyone else have trouble with your shoelaces coming undone all the time?

Ditched the laces on my work shoes, and went to the slip on style. I'll never go back to lace up shoes again unless I have to (sports stuff). They are just so comfortable, and convenient.

For my old work boots though I bought some laces from lee valley that varied the thickness along the length. They never came undone unless you wanted them too.
    Edit: found them http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...,73350&p=70253 They worked great and didn't break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Edit: found them http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...,73350&p=70253 They worked great and didn't break the bank.
    I see that those are made by New Balance. Years ago I would get 500 to 750 miles of running out of a pair of New Balance shoes with those laces and I don't remember ever having to re-tie them. Just slip them off at the end of the run and slip em back on the next day.

I hope I don't ever see any of you folks anywhere near an expensive yacht
    Work hard play hard

Sperry "deck shoes" have the same problem. Knot stays tied, but laces/shoes are loose.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I just use the two loop knot system and it's been good for the most part except with some of these newer laces - it's handy cuz its simple and only takes about three seconds to tie,,, but no matter how hard i been cinching them tight you just pull on an end and they slip out without any effort - not anymore - since the wax its got grip...

im not about to start tying my shoes with a different knot - I been tying my own shoes since i was about 14 1/2 so that's a traumatizing thought to have to start all over again with something different - im no spring chicken you know...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 01-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.

How I have always tied my shoes and I taught my kids how to tie them if you don't want them to come undone.

Make the one loop, then with the other lace go around the first loop TWICE, then "bunny ear" that lace and go threw the hole and pull tight. I do this with my kids hockey skates and never a problem either.
    Andy

Tying shoe laces is old school. Try something new.

I solve the problem by not wearing shoes.

But if you want a knot that wont come undone, the Surgeon's, as recommended above, is good.

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    Double knot?
    exactly... rocket science! Double knot with bows so you can still undo them.

As deltap said, granny knots come loose easier. About half the population ties their shoes using granny knots. The bows of a granny knot tend to go up and down. The proper square knot bows go left and right. Just a glance and you can tell if a person ties granny or square knots.