Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Home shop solution for a reasonable master square for the surface plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post
    Now available on eBay. For a mere $3000 you can have a 36 3/4" long X 8 7/16" diameter cylinder square, complete with a questionable bolt through it to help deform it...
    That's the ovality zeroing adjustment.

I picked up a cylinder square new a while back. I don't recall that it was all that expensive. On the other hand if I picked it up in the first place I must have been flush at the time. When I'm flush "not to expensive" is a lot higher than when I just paid all my bills and I'm waiting for quotes to come in.

I do also have a granite square, but I've only ever used it once to prove in a video that a machine didn't cut square so the manufacturer would send me a new saddle.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Wrist pins need to have a very uniform diameter end to end. They don't need to have very accurately square ends. This guy checked a few wrist pins and found that they are not square by up to .015" over a 5" wrist pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofhek3Lbxkc

Right.. you lap them in, and have a hardened square with a nice finish.

Wrist pins that are pressed in have no real requirement to be square on the ends.
    Full floating pins that use retaining locks on the ends, will be ground square so the locks will survive the pounding.

Would Cummins diesel engine wrist pins work?

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Would Cummins diesel engine wrist pins work?
    The engines found in the trucks are not all that large. So I'd expect that the wrist pins would be much the same. Probably want something out of a 10L or larger size such as found on the big earth movers and the like.

Is it really that hard for a bunch of machinists to make a cylinder on a lathe?
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    Many ways to skin a cat, different budgets, different ideas of whats acceptable. We discuss, and op can do what he wants.
    A ground smooth surface is important to me, not to you. No harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    I most only ever turn cones.