Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resolving salt corrosion on ratchet straps

I had the same question about the yellowish iridescent color on zinc plating. Yes, it is a chromate coating, but did it really do anything?

I tested it by taking some identical washers, all of which were zinc plated, but only some had the chromate passivation. To speed up the test, I dunked the parts in dilute HCl. Plain zinc parts started bubbling immediately, and the zinc was gone in a few minutes.

Passivated parts did nothing for maybe 10 minutes, when they started bubbling slowly. Once they started bubbling, the zinc was gone in a few minutes.

My conclusion was that the chromate passivation does help, at least in a dilute acid environment.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Your issue is the chloride part of salt. Acids and bases will not help, they will probably attack the chromate, which you do not want.

Soak them in some water, change water, repeat. Dry off, and go back to normal life. Anything the chloride was gonna do it done did already. The water is so you know you did something. And it will get rid of any remaining salt that has not reacted with anything.

The Chromate is a thin coating which is quickly removed. Galvanizing is better, and with that, go heavy, or go home. Hot dip is the only thing to consider. Electroplated zinc is a short term coating for "sorta damp" areas. Hot dip has some mass to it, and with galvanizing, only the mass of zinc is of interest, it is a sacrificial coating.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by BigMike782 View Post
    Apply some phosphoric acid.
    Have you actually spplied phosphoric acid to anything galvanized? I don't think so because if you had you would know that it will corrode the galvanize coating extremely fast as in minutes. I know that from sandblasting and then spraying phosphoric acid on machines. All the galvanized fittings on hydraulic hoses corroded with in minutes. The fittings are electro galvanized the same as would be the ratcheting strap mechanisms. I could be off but that has been my experience.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Most acids will attack zinc. Phosphoric is fairly strong.

Ed

I am finding out that Fluid Film is pretty good stuff to have around. As for stainless ratchet straps, why not make them? Use an old steel one for the pattern. Looks like a good project if you want no rust ratchet straps.

Quote Originally Posted by ed_h View Post
    Most acids will attack zinc. Phosphoric is fairly strong.

Ed
    I've always used muriatic acid to burn zinc off parts that I have to weld.

JL...

They use salt here in Buffalo..lots of it. At work they bought some new straps and hosed them down with bar and chain lube, the tacky stuff. Messy, but effective.

I never have issues with ratchet straps rusting....my brother borrows them and never brings them back
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Electroplated zinc is a short term coating for "sorta damp" areas.
    ASTM defines four "Service Categories" for zinc plating, which basically refer to the thickness of the zinc. The highest category is SC4, which they deem suitable for "very severe" conditions. SC4 requires at least 25 um thickness (about 0.001 inch).

I've tested some hardware store fasteners, and they barely complied with SC1 ("very mild" conditions). Clear or colored chromate passivation improves durability, but it's still no wonder that zinc electroplating is often not well regarded.

There is no doubt that hot dipped galvanizing is better yet, since the coating is quite a bit thicker.

Ed

yah.... 0.001" is not much, but may be more than many electroplated things have.

Hot dip is maybe 5 thou or more, up to 15 thou in spots.. Zinc has a bit of "throw" to its protective characteristics.... so a hole in the coating is not always terrible.... but it is worse for spray or intermittent immersion than for direct immersion of large areas.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan