Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 2x72 belt grinder build.

Don't forget to add speech recognition.
    Work hard play hard

[QUOTE=vpt;1217715]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post

I was thinking to still stick with the controller with variable speed on the motor. Then just have the "high and low" speed pulley. Without going threw a V-belt system 5 steps on the drive pulley itself would get quite long (10" long) hanging off the motor.
    Well I guess a 5 step drive pulley might work. I was thinking the drive roller would be on a pulley driven shaft if you went multi speed like that.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

[QUOTE=Danl;1217726]
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post

I recently finished mine:

Dan L
    Nice grinder. I bet you get a lot of use out of it.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I have used the Leesons and they are good dependable drives, but I have also used some from these guys and they are cheaper but just as long lived. https://www.kb-controls.co/product.s...1&categoryId=3 (in an industrial application where they get used and abused all day every day...) Jim

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    So as many of you know I am nearing the end of my plate roller. Time to start thinking of the next tool because I have to keep those pokers in the fire.

I really like the grinder on Alec Steeles youtube channel. l!
    wondering if you considered Jeremy Schmidt's design. He's got a bunch of features and accessories with it, I've never used one so don't know whether they're great or if its guiding the lily. I'd think the first thing you want is solid and smooth. What else are the bit 'wants' with these designs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    wondering if you considered Jeremy Schmidt's design. He's got a bunch of features and accessories with it, I've never used one so don't know whether they're great or if its guiding the lily. I'd think the first thing you want is solid and smooth. What else are the bit 'wants' with these designs?
    His was one of the first I considered. But after seeing Alec use his grinder I was impressed how well it worked, the simplicity of the design, and how easily it changes out attachments.

I guess the one he uses is a 48" (or 42"?) but the over all design I like, quite a bunch of grinding in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9P3hiPFZuE
    Andy

His was one of the first I considered. But after seeing Alec use his grinder I was impressed how well it worked, the simplicity of the design, and how easily it changes out attachments.

I guess the one he uses is a 48" (or 42"?) but the over all design I like, quite a bunch of grinding in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9P3hiPFZuE
    I looked his grinder over also. The welding of the base, using doubled-up pop can shims seemed too labor intensive, and one misstep could result in unusable scrap. Not to mention the fire danger on that horizontal option. It is a well done unit, no doubt.

Dan L
    There was a blind carpenter who picked up his hammer and saw.

Is there any reason to having reverse on a grinder? Just an option on controllers but makes them more money too it seems.

I am leaning towards this one. Funny, it says on 220 input it is good to "about" 2hp.

18g output wire size seems a bit small for the 1.5hp let alone 2hp?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HP-PM-DC-...2ev:rk:31:pf:0
    Last edited by vpt; 01-19-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    Andy

Is there any reason to having reverse on a grinder? Just an option on controllers but makes them more money too it seems.
    Maybe for slow speed polishing operations? Theres been a few times ive wished that mine ran in reverse to strop a knife edge or whatnot, but not that big an issue. Id be hard pressed to think of an actual need for it though

I just finished this one a few weeks ago--works great, gets used almost daily.
    I used a 90vdc treadmill motor and used a scr and diode bridge to control it (about $15).
    3D printed a box to house the electrical

Probably will make larger pulley for the motor when I do some more casting.

Last edited by jocat54; 01-20-2019 at 12:09 AM.