Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this still a machinist forum?

Points to ponder.....

1) if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

2) You are the only one you can compel to post more machining topics

3) As Dale Carnegie said, "be hearty with our approbations and lavish with your praise". Give positive reinforcement to what you like seeing here. This is basic psychology. Instead it is often either crickets chirping or the know it all's willing to share how they'd have done it better. There is often more negative than positive reinforcement to posting projects so guess why there aren't many?

4) the practitioners in any field, when socializing, don't just talk about the field. You're not going to have much of community without some OT and banter. You want to get the talk back to said field, see point 1, and post away
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-18-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Doesn't this thread count as OT.

If so and if OT threads are banned because of this thread and because of that it gets deleted, then in a sense it never happened and then OT topics wouldn't be banned and it would still be here but the same topic would come up again and..........

Don't you just hate recursive time loops.

P.S. still working in the shop everyday.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    While I don't want to resurrect (or maybe re-re-resurrect would be more accurate) I'm kind of in the JTiers camp on those "What did you do/make today" threads. I rarely look into them since there's no visible topic to pique my interest.

But in my estimation, much of what would otherwise be posted as new machining-related threads get shunted over into those threads. Though I realize some of the less involved, simpler projects/tasks would probably otherwise just go un-posted due to a feeling that, "well this isn't very noteworthy" or "I can't think of a suitable thread title", etc.
    I second this.

Not that I expect it to change but, most of the machine content is stuffed into these two threads with no labeling
    to draw interest.

All that can be done is to encourage people that their little mod or project is worthy of its own thread.

We do have some of the best talent I have ever seen on here, and it is really temping to see what toothpaste
    they use instead of just goggling it, but it gets ridiculous sometimes.
    John Titor, when are you.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    If you want to experience a dead forum, go on over to Chaski. This one gives you a response in minutes, overe there could be a week!
    True, although Steamin10's endless OT thread in the JunkDrawer was interesting for a while.
    The only Chaski member who get instant answers is a certain barrister.

There's a a lot of posting that seems to go on without first *reading*. For instance the "Maybe" in my fist post in the thread about banning 'OT'. Or My next post where I suggested possibly focusing what 'OT' was acceptable. I also suspect many links in op posts with further background on the topic go unread, and the conversation goes into left field. Folks are quick to type.. not so much to read.

21 "new posts" today, only 7 are not machining ( I'm including "Professional - Imports Not Included" and "What did you do today" and this thread in the non-machining category).

I machine everyday. Unfortunately most of what I machine is custom proprietary prototype and low production molds for fishing tackle makers. They don't want their designs plastered all over the internet until THEY have a large amount of product ready to move. Those I could post would likely be deemed just me plugging my business since they are molds I sell. When I do something else that is machining I try to post the link to the video or post picture. When I made my own TC tapper I posted about it. I think I posted about upgrading my smaller horizontal bandsaw for more capacity.

Some of us machine everyday, but for one reason or another deem it unsuitable for posting in this forum.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Boats69 View Post
    Except for the awesome builds by Brian Rupnow, is anyone else on here doing any machining? I used to get some great inspiration and practical tips on here. That seems to be drying up.
    In one word NO. It's a Dear Abby column! They old machinist have quit or died, IMHO the newer ones 3 watt light head, j tires & many more just need a forum to show off thew know it all, How can you get any work done if your yapping all day on here? Just on this 1st page are a 13 page rant demanding to know why chinese crap isn't called proffesional, chinese pole saws (a very popular machine shop tool) is better than Stihl, several Bridge engineers I see, Can my cell phone hear me?, how to clean a ratchet strap. On other pages it's Then how do I keep more money & on & on & on. Maybe call it the Lonely Home Shop Club or My chinese crap is better than your chinese crap because mine says precision (spelt wrong but we all know what hung chow meant). It a Joke is what it is, a F*cking Joke! And it goes on & on & on & never ends. Other forums post pics. Glug gave the asnswer on that. I can still see the pics in Shop Made tools. It's a gathering place for has beens, know it alls, never knew it's I'm right so you're wrong folks. I think the world of George but I'd quit wasting my time & either set some rules about being on machining content or close it down & stop moderating this preschool I'm sure isn't the bright spot of his day. BYE
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Sometimes its way easier to post pics of your latest shopping buy, than stuff you made on a machine tool..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Sometimes its way easier to post pics of your latest shopping buy, than stuff you made on a machine tool..
    Ah yes, the absolute joys of building up a new shop. Something incomprehensible buy folks that don't have a shop.
    Work hard play hard