Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dro question.

Okay so I gave up on my dro and took it to town.Durban is a seaside resort where most business has moved out and the place has been suffering from serious urban decay.
    I found this dark dingy shop called durban tv and video repairs. You have to walk over dozens of flat screen tvs lying on the floor to get to the service counter.
    I show this guy the dro. He sounds like a genuine Indian from India and not the local Indian. Most electronics and cellphones are repaired by pakistanis. This Indian dude says thirty three dollars(five hundred Rand )and it will be ready tomorrow.

I cant check if it works because the scales are tied to a two ton milling machine so I take a gamble,pay him and rush home excited but not overly hopeful.
    It works.
    Sometimes you gotta love Africa.
    He somehow fixed the burnt transformer and I can see he has changed the bulging cap.

Nice! I like stories like this lol the guy was honest and knew his stuff... very cool.

Ja . I just hope it lasts. I am not sure if I should leave it on or off.

i would shut it off, i don't know how but my X-scale is behaving normally now and all's i did was start shutting the dro off when not in use,,, i worked half the day on the mill yesterday and not a glitch... was using the hand dials along with the dro just to make sure nothing "wigged out" but very time consuming to do both...

I am or at least was a "real good" electronic guy. I would try replacing the cables to the scales as a first effort. The flickering of the numbers is real indicative of a bad cable/connection.

In my experience, there are two ways to troubleshoot electronic problems: 1. You try to logically isolate it by successively and mentally cutting the apparatus into smaller parts until you are down to only one part/component. This requires an intimate knowledge of the equipment and a lot of testing. 2. You examine the symptoms and take an educated GUESS as to what is the most likely cause. You replace/repair that guess and check the results. Replace or guess again. Number 2 is usually faster. And cheaper unless you are replacing thousand dollar parts on a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Our loadshedding has stabilized and we havnt had cuts for about a month now but my dro now flickers on the x and y axis permanently.I am real upset about this because it works so well. What I dont understand is if I push the hidden button in the setup it will display on both axis and does not flutter at all.
    Not the numbers but the writing SETUP.Why would only the numbers flutter but not the writing in setups. ?

If I took this to a electronics guy do you think he could trace a problem without a wiring diagram or is this going to be to complicated without experience on dros.?My country has taken a turn for the worst and money is real tight and will get worse so trying to buy a new dro would be off the cards.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I am or at least was a "real good" electronic guy. I would try replacing the cables to the scales as a first effort. The flickering of the numbers is real indicative of a bad cable/connection.

In my experience, there are two ways to troubleshoot electronic problems: 1. You try to logically isolate it by successively and mentally cutting the apparatus into smaller parts until you are down to only one part/component. This requires an intimate knowledge of the equipment and a lot of testing. 2. You examine the symptoms and take an educated GUESS as to what is the most likely cause. You replace/repair that guess and check the results. Replace or guess again. Number 2 is usually faster. And cheaper unless you are replacing thousand dollar parts on a guess.
    I had a mishap when I brought my lathe home 7 years ago, damaged the cables about midway rather than replacing them I used Hyd hose and spliced them in junction boxs.The hose sits in the area where all the swarf goes but is a non issue.It is a Newall Topaz.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 06-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.