Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Tooth Brushes

Default OT: Tooth Brushes

I cannot find a decent soft bristle toothbrush, anybody know of a brand and where to buy?

Everything I get, oral b, colgate etc, says soft bristle, but are harder than my small stainless brushes. These new ones work great in the parts washer, but are ripping my gums apart.

Stick with it and your gums will get used to it. You probably have gingivitis if your gums cant currently handle a name brand toothbrush.

Use one of these Hydro Floss units with "pocket pal" tips and fill it 50/50 with water + Listerine. Flush your gums out once a day with 50/50 water/Listerine and I guarantee you after a week or so, your gums will be healthy again. Make sure you only use the "pocket pal" tips that have a soft precision point to them. They slip right under your gums and completely flush out your pockets.

EDIT: Stock up on Listerine (or generic brand) as you'll be using a ~1L bottle every week or so in your new Hydro Floss unit.

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-Ir.../dp/B00H6JZS2S

Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 01-22-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Dedave View Post
    I cannot find a decent soft bristle toothbrush, anybody know of a brand and where to buy?
    I have noticed the same thing. They are pretty firm these days, even the so-called softs. Most people push really hard when they brush and you need a firm toothbrush to do that. People tend to brush hard rather than floss.

You really need to dig in the selection, usually on the bottom shelf, to find the one or two ultra-soft toothbrushes. Many places don't carry them. I have used US's from Oral-B and Colgate. The Colgate has a tongue cleaner on the back that I don't care for. There are a bunch of softs on ebay, some fancy.

Ask your dentist what you should be using, and about technique.

Most people seem to brush their teeth on the topside, and ignore the sides of the teeth... And apparently hardly anyone uses floss. This from the dentist and hygienist. For that, harder brushes are OK, so maybe that is why those are stocked more.

There are soft brushes, but you will need to search for them My dentist hands out brushes each time you are in for a cleaning, and the ones he hands out are pretty soft. I have not asked how to find them elsewhere, because I find them right there! The problem I have is that the new brushes have thick handles and those do not fit into the built-in toothbrush holder that is set into the wall.

As I recall, we did find soft brushes at Walgreen's. That was some time ago however.

if you are in the minority who actually DO use floss, try "dental tape" instead of regular floss... it is a flat wider form of floss, and does IMO a better job.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

My dental hygienist gives me a tooth brush at the end of every visit. With regular tooth cleaning visits I seldom purchase any. They are stiff the first time or two that I use them but soften up quickly.

I would suggest that you soak the new brushes in water for a day or so before using them. If that does not soften them enough, add a bit of soap to the water and rinse them well before use.

And if you don't have a tooth cleaning appointment at least every six months, I suggest that you start doing that.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Stick with it and your gums will get used to it. You probably have gingivitis if your gums cant currently handle a name brand toothbrush.

Use one of these Hydro Floss units with "pocket pal" tips and fill it 50/50 with water + Listerine. Flush your gums out once a day with 50/50 water/Listerine and I guarantee you after a week or so, your gums will be healthy again. Make sure you only use the "pocket pal" tips that have a soft precision point to them. They slip right under your gums and completely flush out your pockets.

EDIT: Stock up on Listerine (or generic brand) as you'll be using a ~1L bottle every week or so in your new Hydro Floss unit.

Please post picture of gums and Dr. 3 Phase will diagnose.

JL..................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post

JL..................
    I pre-bill and I don't accept any dental insurance so plan accordingly.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post

JL..................
    His advice coincides with the advice my dental hygienist gave me.

I had the opposite problem as i feel the brushes are too soft and don't do a damn thing, good luck trying to find one that says "firm" it seems they don't make them anymore...

although i have found some mediums that are pretty good they are called "reach" and when used with arm and hammer toothpaste with baking soda will keep the plaque off your teeth

what's also important is replacing your brush often as the bristles will get rounded and even if firm will not scrape the plaque off as good... my gums have never had a problem

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I had the opposite problem as i feel the brushes are too soft and don't do a damn thing, good luck trying to find one that says "firm" it seems they don't make them anymore...

although i have found some mediums that are pretty good they are called "reach" and when used with arm and hammer toothpaste with baking soda will keep the plaque off your teeth

what's also important is replacing your brush often as the bristles will get rounded and even if firm will not scrape the plaque off as good... my gums have never had a problem
    I have the same problem. I found Weiler makes a great stainless steel bristle toothbrush that does stay firm for a few weeks.

Work hard play hard