Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/8 dia x .150 T slot cutter

Default 3/8 dia x .150 T slot cutter

Need to cut T slot in 6061 with above dim. .375 cutter dia. x .150 height. I have a Rockler keyhole cutter that works fine, but it is ~ .180 height. I have not been able to find anything on eBay or the usual online suppliers. Thanks

Hi and Welcome Aboard ! ! !

T slots are usually larger and sized for specific screws. So you likely found the bigger ones that start off at 1/4" slot in the outer surface with fairly broad and deep T's.

When I've wanted a smaller size of T slot I've made do with Woodruff keyseat cutters used as the T slot cutters. The trick is that they don't cut the center slot so that has to be done with a regular 2 flute end mill first and then the wider root slot cut with the Woodruff cutter.

But because you'd be cheating a bit you won't be able to find the .150 height exactly. Looking at McMaster-Carr's listing for Woodruff keyseat cutters I can only see 1/8T x 3/8D. If you need the whole .150 instead of .125 it would mean making an extra pass.

I did find some metric Woodruff cutters but the 4mm face width you'd want to get a .158" are quite a bit larger in diameter at 13.5mm or 0.53 inch.

If you specifically need exactly that size you're likely looking at having to make a custom cutter out of drill rod, harden, temper and sharpen it yourself.

Hope that helps you out.

Have it re-ground to the desired thickness.

Or re-grind it yourself. To get the best quality job you'd need to find a diamond wheel though.

Going to be tough to relieve the teeth, doing it with no tool grindng equipment.

Make one using a lathe for the tooth form and mill to remove top half. Heat treat, lap to final size.

If you are talking about reducing the "width" of a Woodruff key cutter, you will be grinding on the outer face only. AND that face does not need any relief because you will not be making a plunge cut with it. But if you can I would suggest making it a bit concave to reduce the friction. But this is a general reduction, not creating any relief on the sides of the teeth. The original relief on the actual cutting edges, on the OD of the cutter, should be the only relief that is necessary and it is already there.

I only have one Woodruff cutter and it does not have any relief on the two sides of the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Going to be tough to relieve the teeth, doing it with no tool grindng equipment.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I believe the Rockler key slot cutter has only 2 flutes. Grinding the clearance off-hand should be no big deal.

The trick is that they don't cut the center slot so that has to be done with a regular 2 flute end mill first
    Neither do T slot cutters. OP, have have you looked through the available woodruff cutter sizes? As BC suggests, it can work. I've done oddball keyways with them a few times, just do multiple passes to get what you need

Dremel 199 cutter I "think" will do...any box store will have them.....if only a slot or a few might work fine.