Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OT: So I guess that they will be going after shop vacs next?

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    No it isn't! You can calculate it mathematically pretty close, and lawnmowers are governed to that 'prime RPM', the torque is as much as that horsepower can produce and maintain the specified RPM. They can also put it on a dyno. The mfgs know exactly what their engines produce. BTW, I've never seen an electric mower that was up to the task, even corded ones. You must mow every other day.
    It's interesting that you mentioned using a dyno. I was at a used equipment dealer recently and he had just acquired a small engine dyno from a local high school. The thing was in great shape and looked hardly used. When I enquired as to why the school got rid of it he replied that educating kids as to how and why it was used was all but a waste of time. Almost none of the small engine dealers the school contacted in a survey had them and all thought they were a waste of money. In addition those that did have them found none of their customers were willing to pay to have their engines tested.

In short it ended up being a piece of equipment no one used and no one wanted.

What on earth is so funny about my statement???

-D

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    What on earth is so funny about my statement???

-D
    Work hard play hard

Maybe they need to start rating them like vehicles after all the losses are calculated when it's the final outcome at the wheels but instead of BrakeHorsePower it's BladeHorsePower...

how did this come about to a law suit though? many companies cheat with specs as in rigging the tests in their favor or maybe bypassing the governor or something,

somethings tells me there's more to it than just specs as there was an incident with a person who was counting on 11 ponies because his fat kid was playing in the mud and got stuck and could not get out so he linked his riding lawnmower up and tried to drag him out to safety but it did not have enough balls and the kid died...

My small ShopVac sucks up chips and garage floor junk just fine. Have no idea what horsepower it is and don't really care what the label says. If it hadn't done the job, I'd have given or tossed it away and purchased something else.

For bigger stuff my Craftsman big red tub works. It was on sale for under 50 bucks and the label says 6hp. That's a good one.... maybe HP really stands for Hopes & Prayers? Maybe I've watched too many AVE videos.....

Question: These multi millions in fines. Who gets that, and what is it used for? Hmmm?

Over and out.

Oaks

The EU has brought in limits on domestic vacs I think because they were getting pointlessly powerful so the greenies complained about the energy usage.
    What we need for IC engines is the well understood NHP unit as used for steam engines. Now I wonder why they invented that!

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    BTW.... I thought they ALREADY went after the vacs.....
    Looks like you are right.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    The EU has brought in limits on domestic vacs I think because they were getting pointlessly powerful so the greenies complained about the energy usage.
    What we need for IC engines is the well understood NHP unit as used for steam engines. Now I wonder why they invented that!
    There's an interesting article about Nominal Horsepower at http://www.paxmanhistory.org.uk/nhp-defn.htm

I though that maybe 25 years ago there was something like this with small engines and that is why you don't see many hp ratings on engines, torque ratings sometimes but not hp. Or maybe cu. in. I guess there needs to be a testing procedure setup, similar to the Nebraska Tractor Tests, to establish hp. Possibly hood the engines up to a dyno and run them wide open and load them until they drop a certain percent of full rpm and let them run for 10 hours and see if they last.

Vacuums and air compressors need to be rated at cubic ft. per min. at a certain pressure. You can see the CFM ratiang for most air compressors, but is it correct?