Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rochester, NY Area Help

Default Rochester, NY Area Help

First a big thanks for the advice about my Sampson mill. I'm going to explore it and try to adjust a few things as the weather allows more time/warmth in the garage.

I have periodic wish for access to tools I don't have. Like a band saw so to not have to spend 20 minutes plus cutting through bar stock, a few times for a project.

If any of you are in the area and are willing to let me use some of your tooling please let me know. I've returned home after a 25 year stint in OH and NC and have lost my old contacts for this kind of help. I have had some involvement with the local Makerspace but haven't clicked there. Andy
    Andrew R Stewart
    You Think too Much

Sorry, I'm too far away to be useful; Houston.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I hate to say it, but Harbor Freight may be your friend while you are making contacts. In particular they sell a hand held bandsaw for metal for less than $100. It's similar to the Milwaukee "Portaband" model. It will pay for itself pretty quick if you are making things for sale. It's small enough to put away between uses. Mine is 18 years old and still going strong.

They also sell a horizontal / vertical bandsaw that is the standard for home shops. Often on sale for $150 and works well with a few adjustments and a good quality blade.

I'm in California, so probably too far to do you much good.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Dan- Agreed but I have a wife and space challenge. If the new item can get past her and/or fit in a drawer I'm great. But if it has to sit on the basement/garage floor there's a problem My sandblasting cabinet lives at my sister's house so the wife's car can be in our garage.

The other reason to post for access is to establish a relationship with someone who can do things I can't. I have a couple of guys I already have had do small jobs for me but neither is interested in my using their tools. Andy
    Andrew R Stewart
    You Think too Much

Letting someone use your tools is always a dicey situation. Even if you trust your friends and their abilities there is the possibility that they will accidentally misuse something and break it. Even worse, they can get injured!

A silly anecdote to illustrate the problem. I'm using memory and drinking brandy, so some details are made up.

I set up my mill with a 3 ph motor and VFD. I love it. Quick reverse and variable speed. What's not to like? My buddy asked me if I could alter a wheelchair bracket to recess the heads of some socket head cap screws. I said sure.

He does not like to impose, and he has experience as a hight school shop teacher, so when he wanted to do his own setup and milling I did not worry much. All he was doing was adding a pocket to the top of a slot that was sized for the screws. He chose the end mill and end mill holder, put the bracket in the vise and had no problems.

I watched as he ran the table back and forth to enlarge the slot. It was taking forever. Eventually I stopped him. A closer look showed the recess to be deep enough but there was no sign of the original slot. We figured out that the mill was running in reverse, and that what he'd done was to smear the aluminum around till it filled in the original hole.

The endmill was still usable as we set the direction to clockwise, and we completed the project.

Now when we use the mill or welder or lathe we both go over what he wants to do and how he's going to do it. Sometimes I do the work for him, some times he does it. The biggest difference between the two of us is that I know what the lathes an mills and saws and things are supposed to feel like.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Ooops, wrong thread.JR

My Aunt grew up in NY. Rochester. Ruth Bottemly JR
    Last edited by JRouche; 01-27-2019 at 03:51 AM.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Im in Buffalo, but no bandsaw here either. Ive been looking for plans to make a powered hacksaw.

If its just a quick cutoff , the metal supermarket on the corner of Buffalo Rd and Mt Read blvd MIGHT be willing to do it for a small donut donation or such. ESPECIALLY if you buy some metal once and a while.

You have to check out Dock Hardware some time, its a home shop guys dream. Huge warehouses of used machine tools and more, I bought a lot of things from them. It will take a half day, do allow time.

(I moved from Rochester (Gates) to SC about 6 years ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    If its just a quick cutoff , the metal supermarket on the corner of Buffalo Rd and Mt Read blvd MIGHT be willing to do it for a small donut donation or such. ESPECIALLY if you buy some metal once and a while.

You have to check out Dock Hardware some time, its a home shop guys dream. Huge warehouses of used machine tools and more, I bought a lot of things from them. It will take a half day, do allow time.

(I moved from Rochester (Gates) to SC about 6 years ago)
    Dock hardware seems to be a marine supplier. Or a "how to get the girl" scam site. Metals supermarket is a good spot, I think its a front company owned by Alro (at least it seems that way at the Buffalo location) Personally, I use junked parts from other machines, scrap bin at work, or order stuff cut to size from online metals.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 01-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.

I'm nowhere close enough to help but another option is to use a variable speed hand held jig saw or sawzall type saw. Not as fast and efficient as a bandsaw but way faster and less work than using a hacksaw. With properly chosen good quality blades at proper speed, it works surprisingly well. I see pretty decent brand older Porter-Cable and Bosch ones pop up on craigslist for short money (under 50 bucks) fairly regularly in this area, may be similar there.

And of course as mentioned, Harbor freight likely has something workable for not too much money. Small, easily stored, and useful for lots of other assorted household tasks.