Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I wanna tap that !!!

If you don’t have the plate yet and really have hundreds of holes to tap in a 45”x68” piece I would consider getting some quotes on having the plate cut to size and the holes drilled in it. I don’t think there would be a huge cost in having this done and would assure the holes are all straight and exactly where you want them. Being aluminum it should be able to be done on a CNC router which may be the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Gun spiral tap in a drill. If the holes are thru hole, makes life much easier. Gun spiral taps I am thinking, draw the chips out as you thread. Get a high quality USA/Japanese tap if HSS.
    Issue on terminology, gun taps refer to spiral tip taps, where the spiral is cut so it 'shoots' the chips forward in the hole. Great for through holes, as mentioned, but not what you want for blind holes.

RB, im assuming that you know this, but i dunno that the OP does, and dont want someone to make the same mistake that i did... Dont assume that "spiral tap" and "spiral flute tap" tap are the same thing! Personally, i prefer the spiral flute taps that draw the chips up and out of the hole, like a drill bit. Maybe not as good as a gun tap for through holes, but better than straight flutes by miles and make power tapping a breeze

Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
    Issue on terminology, gun taps refer to spiral tip taps, where the spiral is cut so it 'shoots' the chips forward in the hole. Great for through holes, as mentioned, but not what you want for blind holes.
    The sprial point taps do ok on blind holes as long as you can drill the hole deeper than what your intended tap depth is(drill it deep enough so the chip has someplace to go). Getting the chip out is sometimes fun especially on smaller holes.

Depending on how critical the tapped hole sizing is (class of fit), there are combined drills and taps in the common thread types. They cut the time a LOT when you have through holes in material that is not so thick.

The cost of cutting the time is that you need the ability to stop the driving motor instantly, you do not want to run the tap part in all the way, as that can/will break the tap on most of the sizes I have used.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Depending on how critical the tapped hole sizing is (class of fit), there are combined drills and taps in the common thread types. They cut the time a LOT when you have through holes in material that is not so thick..
    I have used these in the past, mostly 10-24 on tubing. They do cut down on time quite a bit but require a little finesse. You have to be careful of drill break through and how much pressure you are putting on when it happens, you can break the tap easily. The ones I used also had a build in chamfer tool on it as well and another plus is the drill part is harder than a normal drill so it stays sharper for a lot longer.

I think tap with drill is just for thin plate
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post

RB, im assuming that you know this, but i dunno that the OP does, and dont want someone to make the same mistake that i did... Dont assume that "spiral tap" and "spiral flute tap" tap are the same thing! Personally, i prefer the spiral flute taps that draw the chips up and out of the hole, like a drill bit. Maybe not as good as a gun tap for through holes, but better than straight flutes by miles and make power tapping a breeze
    Thank you, I meant to say spiral flute tap, I never made that connection before. Learned something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    Yeah, I have one for 3/8" -16 and the length of of the tap portion including the tapered lead-in is just one inch and the maximum effective tap length is 3/4". It wouldn't work for 1" thick plate but a 1/2" - 13 one might. I don't have one but from the picture in the link the shank looks like it is smaller than the drill size (0.435) but that's something that would need to be double checked.

Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    True. The drill portion must pass through the material before the tap starts to cut. The drill cannot cut at the rate of advance that the tap cuts per turn.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan