Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I wanna tap that !!!

I do a lot of tapping with my mill/drill. It has a VFD. I use the speed control to start and stop the spindle. I run +/- 200 RPM for 1/4" and 5/16" taps. Really good control! I use the DRO to locate the holes, spot drill, drill all the holes and then come back and tap. Do all the same operation and then come back for the second and third. The DRO is a bottom feeder, but it will locate within a thou or two for the second and third operation. Very, very few broken taps and nice straight threaded holes.
    CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter View Post
    I do a lot of tapping with my mill/drill. It has a VFD. I use the speed control to start and stop the spindle. I run +/- 200 RPM for 1/4" and 5/16" taps. Really good control! I use the DRO to locate the holes, spot drill, drill all the holes and then come back and tap. Do all the same operation and then come back for the second and third. The DRO is a bottom feeder, but it will locate within a thou or two for the second and third operation. Very, very few broken taps and nice straight threaded holes.
    CPeter
    I have my Rockwell DP set up with a vfd too, and it taps very nice. I made a drill front control panel with a large STOP and a DPDT centering momentary toggle switch for 0N/direction, so it's easy to reverse, and the vfd takes care of soft deceleration/acceleration. If I had this job, I'd get a cheap little tabletop DP and mod it with a 1/2hp 3ph motor and vfd for tapping. Then just clamp it on this ginormous plate, rather than trying to set this plate up on a BP.

Freehand with a hand drill? Forget it, I've snapped off my share of 1/4-20 taps that way. It's hard to maintain the level of concentration required.

These hand tappers work really well too if the item you're tapping is portable and small enough to place on one of these.

Work hard play hard

A good bit of what he will want to do is into edges of bigger plates. I expect some will be into the face of thinner plates, where the combined drill/tap may help.

I'd not expect a lot to fit under there, but it depends on the throat depth... looks to be 3 to maybe 4 inches.

For general tapping, they certainly do work super. I have a different style, but same idea.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Dan, it might help generate more useful ideas if you told us what size holes you want and how they are spaced on your slab.
    Last edited by Arcane; 01-29-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Those combined drill and taps are still only good for thru holes where the end of the drill breaks through before the threads engage. I'm pretty darned sure that they are not intended for thick and blind hole use. And I can only see lots of problems if they are forced into that sort of use.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    A good bit of what he will want to do is into edges of bigger plates. I expect some will be into the face of thinner plates, where the combined drill/tap may help.

I'd not expect a lot to fit under there, but it depends on the throat depth... looks to be 3 to maybe 4 inches.

For general tapping, they certainly do work super. I have a different style, but same idea.
    The larger one above has a 7.5" throat depth: https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3900-025.../dp/B00QVYQR9W

The smaller one is height adjustable and actually has more clearance if needed.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Those combined drill and taps are still only good for thru holes where the end of the drill breaks through before the threads engage. I'm pretty darned sure that they are not intended for thick and blind hole use. And I can only see lots of problems if they are forced into that sort of use.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    ..... I expect some will be into the face of thinner plates, where the combined drill/tap may help.

Agree, won't be good for the big plates, but he's got a cross-gantry to do, and that I'd expect to use thinner plates. Maybe not, in which case it isn't gonna work for him. That's OK.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Is that a new type of magnet for aluminium?
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal