Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convert gasoline engine concrete mixer to 3 point - very slight machining

Default Convert gasoline engine concrete mixer to 3 point - very slight machining

I did this a good while ago and I hope it is OK to post it here. I had an old 9 cubic foot mixer that had a bad gasoline engine and decided to convert it to a 3 point tractor hitch. I moved the axle from one end to the other and removed the trailer hitch. I did not start taking pictures until I started and may have posted this somewhere before.

Start - axle was on the right.

Make new axle brackets.

Move axle to the other end and line up to drill.

Axle installed on the other end.

Turn pieces for chain drive slack adjuster

Install chain drive and fab some 3 point hitch stuff

3 point hitch brackets and chain guard.

Put a little paint on it.

Side view to show tabs to remove chain guard.

Mixer in use pouring porch slab on this house. If the mixer is positioned correctly it can be fed from the pallet, mixed, then dumped in the skidsteer bucket. Later I welded on a trailer jack to remove one mixer tire easily so the skidsteer bucket could fit under better.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 01-29-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
    Mixer in use pouring porch slab on this house. ...
    That's a lotta' bags of Sakcrete. About 2-1/2 yards worth, I reckon.

Good work on that conversion!

Cost wise, how does Sakrete vs. sand/gravel/portland cement vs. redimix compare? Anybody have a feel for that? I'm sure the Sakrete is the most expensive.
    /

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    That's a lotta' bags of Sakcrete. About 2-1/2 yards worth, I reckon.
    Close judgement. A little less than 2 yards. I buy it by the pallet from Home Depot to get the bulk price. There are 42-80lb. bags on a pallet so 25.2 cubic feet per pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    Good work on that conversion!

Cost wise, how does Sakrete vs. sand/gravel/portland cement vs. redimix compare? Anybody have a feel for that? I'm sure the Sakrete is the most expensive.
    /
    The 80 lb. bags are .6 cubic feet so 45 bags per yard. The current bulk price is $3.14 per 80 lb bag so $141.30 per yard. I am tax exempt with a farm so that is the price. This is a slightly above the current ready mix price here.
    Last edited by Ridgerunner; 01-29-2019 at 10:20 PM.

Is the weight of the mixer too much to just support it from the 3-point hitch? Maybe you could move it around hanging on the 3-point, and lower a jack or two in the back while in use.

Seems like a swivel tail wheel from a bush hog with two jacks in front for storage might work well, too. You must get a lot of side load on the tires when turning.

The chain drive and cover looks really sturdy. Ditto for the 3-point hitch.

Nice conversion ---- like homebrew stuff as i do allot of my own and it's fun to engineer

Good job on conversion,I built one from scratch several years ago out of 32"dia 3/8"wall pipe.I had it mounted on front end loader with grapple Hyd turning the mixer.The long reach was real handy.

Nice fabrication job. Looks strong. I don't understand why the 3pt hitch when you have an axle and wheels. Why not just a tongue and hitch?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!