Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT PC trouble - ghost in the machine?

Default OT PC trouble - ghost in the machine?

Desktop PC trouble. OT yes but there is probably more technical expertise here than most PC forums. I tried to post it Tom's, but their pw reset errors (not a good sign of PC help site lol)

Anyway.....for several days my PC spontaneously turns off. Working away and its like the power cord was pulled. Sequence of events:

• PC w/ asus DP55WG MB
    • Computer turns off randomly
    • PS only a year or two old so I'm thinking its drivers, spent some time messing around, nothing works
    • the frequency of shut downs increases, thinking now its hardware, probably 15 times yesterday
    • install "core temp" utility
    • holy crap, all core temps over 90C (no idea of accuracy of this program)
    • I immediately shut down, thinking 1) I've found the problem and 2) don't want to damage anything at that high a temp
    • A few hours later I try to reboot, curious what temps "core temp" is reporting, i.e. should be cold
    • it won't reboot. What? buttons on front are ineffective
    • There is a manual start button on the board, doesn't work.
    • leave it unplugged, reconnect and try again, nothing.
    • try again this a.m., several times. nothing
    • I short the power supply green wire and the ps powers up just fine, there is the correct voltage on the various pins
    • try several more times to boot, nothing.
    • I'm sitting pricing new systems (don't want to spend, but need a computer) on the laptop and a few hours later, the bloody things just turns on on its own!
    • half an hour later it dies again, but it will now reboot.
    • ps, mb and graphics card fans all working
    • its on the bench (er rather the couch) so isn't' connected to any peripherals, but before I reconnect (a pita in its usual spot), while its all accessible does anyone have any ideas what might cause this?

Thanks
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-30-2019 at 12:20 PM.

A failure of your CPU cooling system - they typically have a heatsink and fan - could result in rapid damage to your CPU. Some CPUs are passively cooled, with no fan.

You may have been on the right track with the core temps utility. It is probably correct. Temps of 90C - for most any component - are beyond safe temps. That temp could rapidly damage components. Modern CPUs and motherboards will typically shutdown for safety reasons, but that temp limit is very high.

I would want to know if the temps reported increase after booting. But considering how high the temps are, I would be reluctant to operate the system until I had otherwise investigated.

I'd pop the cover and look for a fan on the CPU. I'd want to see that fan spin up as soon as power is applied to the system. Though some fans don't operate until temp thresholds are reached.

If you have fried the CPU, you could just replace that component.

Edit, I see you reported the cpu fan is working. That's good. I'd probably run the PC with the cover open (which compromises cooling somewhat, but not significantly) and watch and listen. Also, look at the temp graphs for history - is it getting hot, etc.

Also, intense system use - like malware - will increase temps. Not usually enough to cause overheating. If you CPU is getting to 90C, you will be able to feel that heat coming off it.
    Last edited by Glug; 01-30-2019 at 12:45 PM.

The electrolytic capacitors usually dry out and cause erratic problems.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

Is there a rats nest inside of the computer? If so, completely remove it. Clean up any droppings too.
    Work hard play hard

It sounds to me like a motheboard problem or power supply. You said your power supply is only 1 or 2 years old. Depending on the brand of PS that doesn't rule out a failure for sure. I have had PS fail in just a few months and some last for ten years.

I will bet you a beer it is the motherboard.

First thing to do is get all the files you need off your C drive. Clone it if you can but at least copy your data files to another hard drive. I would say get your affairs in order because you don't have much time left. (on your computer)
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

take the cover off and aim a little (or big) fan at the innerds and see if it lasts any longer

take all your ram chips out but one and rotate them around to see if that changes anything.

go into bios and set defaults at wimpy

Also .. boot into safe mode no network .. or even better
    boot to a linux cd or flash drive to see if it may be drivers
    or a corrupted install, which is very possible.
    Last edited by Mike Amick; 01-30-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    John Titor, when are you.

thanks for the ideas, stuff to try. I went to take the cpu fan off to have a look, and what do you know, it was loose! hopefully that is the problem. I'll see how long it stays up for now that I reattached it

The strangest thing of all this was that it just started on its own after sitting there for hours? Any ideas how that happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    The strangest thing of all this was that it just started on its own after sitting there for hours? Any ideas how that happened?
    The rat did it. Get the nest out of there.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    The rat did it. Get the nest out of there.
    I did check it initially and it was loose, but I thought it was ok, thinking the fan was some sort of spring loaded floating mount. Instead it looks like the heatsink was loose. If it stays up for awhile I'll consider that problem solved and re seat it with the heat transfer stuff

The pain of the embarrassing omission will be more than offset by avoiding the pita of dealing with getting a new computer
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-30-2019 at 02:49 PM.

[QUOTE=Mcgyver;1220280If it stays up for awhile I'll consider that problem solved and re seat it with the heat transfer stuff[/QUOTE]

Many of those heatsink/fan combos were not very robustly attached.

As you may know, the way to re-goop is not very intuitive. Less is more, you want it as thin as possible for full contact, etc. It probably isn't worth lapping the surface to overclock it