Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Ames Triplex Lathe Anyone ever use one

Default BC Ames Triplex Lathe Anyone ever use one

I am intrigued with this combination machine,there is one for sale on Vintage Machinery .org. Thought maybe someone here may have used one.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 02-03-2019 at 12:42 AM.

I think you can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of people, pretty much worldwide, that have used one of those.

I'd imagine the seller is probably about a third, if not a full half, of that total number.

That is an interesting looking machine, but I can't imagine it's all that common.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Could be very useful!

Looks a lot like an Urwick MetalMaster.

They where originally designed for use on ships where space is tight. I did have a friend that had one but have no idea what happened to it.

If you have access to old Model Engineer magazine there are a couple of right ups from Urwick about how and why he made his Metalmaster lathe.
    Last edited by loose nut; 02-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I have never seen either of those machines. They both look amazing! I would buy one if it showed up locally at a reasonable price. What do they want for the Triplex?

It's been ten years since @jackary posted his modern implementation of the MetalMaster and called it the Stepperhead.

I think they are pretty rare,I was shocked when I seen one on Vintage Machinery it is missing the cross slide $500 for it.The one in pic was restored by a fellow in Australia which came off a ship with the purchase price of $2200 in 1938 holy $hit that was a lot of money then.I thought the curved arm with deg. Marked on it was real ingenious and goes up to vertical postion for drilling or milling.

It cooled off overnight here -42c this morning 20 km wind,weather net says feels like -55c
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 02-03-2019 at 01:14 PM.

[QUOTE=loose nut;1220899]They where originally designed for use on ships where space is tight. I did have a friend that had one but have no idea what happened to it.

Did your friend ever comment on how it was to operate and ease of switching to the different functions of the machine?

As pictured it was a lathe but the head stock could be rotated up into the vertical or at an angle for use as a milling machine or drill press.

The metal master was a strictly home built machine but it was made from foundry castings and was a high quality build. There wasn't any reason it couldn't have been made and sold commercially but it was a bit to unconventional to interest anyone in making them.
    Last edited by loose nut; 02-03-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/