Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT; Windows updates.

Default OT; Windows updates.

Over the past 3 weeks I've been inundated with Windows updates. (Win 7 Home Pro)
    All legit.
    Did Microsoft find some people just sitting around doing nothing?
    I thought 7 was dead and buried?
    Len

I know guys that work in the updates group. Individual users are just benefiting from a slew of important updates for the still supported Corporate world. Will all end soon enough for Win7. No new "features" are being pushed, just security updates. About a year left for free on those (called "extended support").
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.

7 is not dead for me when I bought my new lap top after 10 came out I'd only get one if it came with 7 which it did, has pro and I've never got updates requests , are you sure they are from Microsoft there are a lot of fake sights out there.

If you don't have Service pack 1 installed, you won't be getting security updates. And if you don't have SP1 plus rollup-up updates, with minimal effort "I" can likely walk into your computer (with physical access)
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-03-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    If you don't have Service pack 1 installed, you won't be getting security updates. And if you don't have SP1 plus rollup-up updates, with minimal effort "I" can likely walk into your computer (with physical access)
    Ehh. Regardless of your OS, unless your drive is encrypted and you have a permanent BIOS password, anyone with physical acess can "walk into your pc"

I have been receiving updates on the two Windoze 7 based systems I have all along.
    As Lakeside53 posted, mostly security updates, although I did receive two that pertained to the operating system itself.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    Ehh. Regardless of your OS, unless your drive is encrypted and you have a permanent BIOS password, anyone with physical acess can "walk into your pc"
    That's not what I meant... via network to me is "physical". But yes, encrypt your drive. All our work laptops have motherboard hardware encryption, no user admin accounts etc etc etc. Even if the data is encrypted, access to an unpatched computer renders that protection useless. We use an enterprise product that shows the status of all the domain computer patches, AV etc, and we can deny access to our network if the patches/OS are not up-to-date. Laptops away from the office network quickly fall behind and could be a problem. The users quickly learn
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.

All this encryption is fine, I suppose, but it apparently can bite you rather badly in case of failures. I know folks who could not get back their encrypted data after a computer failure, not HDD related.... Not sure of the reason, but while it was all readable, in the sense that stored stuff was read off the same every time, something about the encryption did not work the same way when trying to read it off the disk in a new system. I don't know if the encryption was dependent on some hardware feature not present, or just what the reason was.

Perhaps someone knows.

Having had some difficulties related to updates from MS in the past, I generally have not allowed updates. With win 10, it seems to be a violation of the TOS to not allow them, so.....

If someone wants to read my disk that badly, they are welcome to it, and especially if they want to use the password list kept on it. I'd like to see them use that.... would be fun to watch..... but that's another story that I just will not tell. Take the data hostage? Give it a try, sonny, nothing will happen and I won't lose a thing.

Aside from the actual problems, it seems that whenever I really needed to use the computer, THAT was when it was busy doing updates, that took an hour, or even hung without completing. Too much like work, and just generally not worth it. I may allow them sometime in the future, before they are unavailable, but.......

Drives IT people crazy, but there has been no downside at all in decades of use with internet access

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I've learned to love Win10. I have no choice, as it is the only OS to support the latest tech and WMR VR headsets. I am really into VR these days. And it is also faster and even more reliable than win 7 ever was.

I'm getting good at whipping these out quick!