Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work Holding in Vertical Bandsaw

Great idea. We have 5” chuck with terrible runout. Perfect use for it.

If all you've got is a vertical bandsaw that's a pretty neat idea but if you've got a horizontal it will cut most
    of what you're talking about with a lot less hassle. I'm trying to remember if you had a horizontal saw when
    I was there...
    Keith

If you wanted it to be really sweet you could mount a four jaw chuck with independent jaws as well as a scroll. Then square or rectangular would be easy. I could see this being great for notching or coping joints in structural material.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Very ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    If all you've got is a vertical bandsaw that's a pretty neat idea but if you've got a horizontal it will cut most
    of what you're talking about with a lot less hassle. I'm trying to remember if you had a horizontal saw when
    I was there...
    Ya Keith I have a 3.5x5 and a 10x18 horizontal saws but they would painful to use for most of these jobs.Dealing with bolts and #4 machine screws or larger this thing is so user freindly,you can even kerf with it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    If you wanted it to be really sweet you could mount a four jaw chuck with independent jaws as well as a scroll. Then square or rectangular would be easy. I could see this being great for notching or coping joints in structural material.
    I have had the same thought BF but a four jaw would have to rotate to adjust each jaw similar to my Horizontal set up on the Wadkin Drill Press as in pic.I have clamped sqaure,rectangle and eccentric in this thing,the oddball stuff side loads the jaws but doesn't matter.The thing with this its not spinning at 500 rpm like in a lathe,what ever the jaws will grab usually works.

I like the idea too. Especially for cutting round objects on the vert saw. I use a small vise with a V-block but that's quite limited compared to a small 3 jaw chuck mounted like yours. Thanks, I'll add that to my always growing to-do list.
    Work hard play hard

You would only need to access two of the jaws independently. So that would work. As long as you could position the central scroll tightening socket just like your have with your three jaw.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Simple and stout, I like it. Any provisions for indexing? or would you have to index the part itself? Either way a nice piece of workholding equipment that will provide years of useful service.

Nicely done Tundra. I especially like the 3 jaw chuck idea which I've already put on my to do list. The toothed push frame with wood handles is a beautiful piece. I assume it's made from aluminum, am I correct?

You have a very interesting shop, several rare machines and cool shop made tooling to boot. I'm impressed, keep it up.

Ron

I can see where a big "V" block with a large finger clamp would be a nice holder too. For those without a spare chuck..... The chuck idea is really clever. But let's be fair. It's a bit of overkill. But if one has such a spare chuck sitting around idle then why not put it to work? And certainly for some uses like that special jig shown in the first picture the spare chuck to hold said jig while the collars that fit onto it are being cut is a brilliant method.

I've got this idea for a sort of "V" block tool along the lines of that flat toothed pusher. It would use sections of angle iron cleaned up so it doesn't mark up the work welded to hold the stock on a "V" angle. And behind or ahead of the "V" would be holes for threaded studs and what is basically a finger clamp with a jack screw (think of this as sort of half of a toolmaker's clamp) would swing over into place and clamp the round stock or part to be cut into position A gap through the middle would give clearance for the blade and a view of the cut.

The nice thing about holders like this is that one does not need to constantly cool off smaller parts to stop our fingers being toasted. A situation I get often because in the vertical mode my own bandsaw only has a 4 x 5" size table. So no room really for a good jig to hold anything. But it does give me ideas for a small part holder or two....