Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arbor press,,,uses?

Post arbor press,,,uses?

I will be picking up a Dake #1 1/2[3 ton] racheting arm arbor. From time to time I need something like this. This one is listed at a very high price in the MSC catalogue [$800+?]. I will be getting it very reasonable. How do these compare with very inexpensive Asian manufacture arbor presses?
    What neat uses have you found for your press?
    I KNOW I'll use it for something,,,,maybe reinstalling wine bottle corks? [ha].
    alan in ga

We use an arbor press at work to broach keyways ( cut keyways in sprockets,pulleys, etc). We do this with 3/8 keyways and smaller. We use a regular broach machine for larger keyways. You can also use an arbor press to straighten parts if you will put parallels under your part away from where you are going to press. Like a parallal under each end and press in the middle. This will give you room to let the part bend. But be careful that you don't apply too much pressure or you will bend it too much. You can press in and out bearings. The larger your arbor press the more that you can use it for.

------------------
    Living By the Square and On the Level
    Living By the Square and On the Level

I put a wire crimp jaw into mine with a air cylinder.. I don't have a clue where it is now thou.

I was making harnesses for motorcycles. Not done that in a long time.

--------

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

As Jesse says, they work on small broches--not enough depth. Since I got my C-Frame press, I hardly use the arbor except for very small stuf and to pinch my fingers.

Hey David, that's a dandy idea! You may have found a use for my arbor press. Not a wire crimper but I could attach an air cylinder and find another use. I've got the cylinder and pedal sitting in a cabinet.

I'm thinking more of a screw hole dimpler. (In sheet metal) I've been doing this by hand with homemade dies and a hammer. Heck, I'm starting to think of other ideas too.

Thanks

I like my 3 ton import (after modifications). An arbor press without a racheting lever isn't much good IMHO.

To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

homebrew arbor press.
    needed something with more height, so i
    threw in an adjustable table.

not a ratchet style, but i can increase the pressing force by inserting a longer handle

works great for installing/removing small bearings but mostly i use it to shape sheetmetal as CCWKen hinted at.

make a few dies in the lathe and its a simple matter of pressing/punching sheetmetal features. it can do 4" louvres, no problem. the trick is getting it all aligned so the louvres look nice.

-tony

Thumbs up

Slick idea Tony. I wish that I had thought of that before buying one.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

You can also make attachments for the ram.

A company I worked for had a burnishing tool attached to the end of a ran to size a small hole in a dental drill. They also had specialized tips made up for pressing bearings into elevator wheels absolutely square.

My brother made a tool for cutting louvers into aluminum sheet on his model trains. Look at www.discoverlivesteam.com/magazine/A-e-magazine.htm . Issue #25

I've used my press for the usual broaching of keyways, assembling train wheelsets, pressing bearings and straightening things.

Andy Pullen

[This message has been edited by andypullen (edited 09-17-2004).]
    Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

A neat attachment is a holder for number/letter stamps and a fence to set the alignmnet.You can pres down with the press and give the ram a wack with a brass hammer,it really makes a good stamp that way.
    I just need one more tool,just one!