Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First Milling Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
    Any thought on this https://wausau.craigslist.org/tls/d/...797945754.html

Never heard of the brand but it comes with lots of stuff and a converter.
    These are the prices I would expect to see, and I checked a few on ebay...

Mill - $2000 - $2500
    Kurt style vise - $100 - 200 ($250 to $300 if real Kurt)
    Servo 140 X power feed - $250 (used, new 150 go for $600)
    Mitutoyo X Y DRO - $750
    R8 chucks - $50 - $75
    Drill chuck - $50
    slitting saw arbor - $25 to $40
    Chinese BS-0 dividing head - $250
    Misc cutters - $50 to $100
    Rotary 3 Ph converter - $150 to replace with VFD

So all in all it's not a screaming deal, but it's all in one place. Basically it looks like you could pretty much set up and go... although you'll find you are missing strap clamps, hold down bolts, etc. Those might be part of the deal but not pictured.

As far as the Enterprise machine? It's a Bridgeport knockoff. It looks decently made from the photos, but you probably need to poke at it to see how well you think it's made. Look at fit and finish. Also... you want to check runout on the lead screws, check to see if the ways are dished, etc. Handling the controls on site will tell you a lot... if it feels nice it may well have been well cared for. If it feels like a spoon in a bowl then run away.

ALSO... I had trouble finding info on "Enterprise milling machine" on google. If the thing can use Bport replacement parts it's a good thing. If the replacements are unique to this machine and are hard to find... walk away.

Personally, this would be right at the top of the price range for me... I'd offer $4000 and see if they would meet somewhere in the middle.

But the final decision is yours... thats why you should go out and fondle the machine... decide if you would be happy with it. Or would the name "Bridgeport" be haunting the back of your mind forever? (On the other hand, there are a lot of clapped out Bridgeport machines that need $1000 of overhaul before they'd really be useable.)

Is yours a Shop Fox? I know they are the Grizzly sister company, I have their wood working tools and have been happy with them. Unfortunately it looks like they don't offer any larger mills any more.
    Nope, from a Canadian tool sales company called Busy Bee Tools.

I'd say that this is pretty much a Bridgeport style of clone or perhaps a touch smaller. It's got all the right head movements for nodding and tilting and the head is on a ram so it can extend out for extra reach and it swivels to reach the ends of the table. All in all if the ways are good and given all the tooling with it I'd say that's a fair price. Not a great price but certainly a fair price.

Of course as mentioned already price is VERY regional.

There's areas where this would be easily 50 to 100% over priced and areas where it's a pretty attractive deal and worth a bit of dickering. If the links you've been posting are all nearby and typical for your area I'd say this is certainly worth a trip to go and look it over for condition of the dovetail ways and table. But bottom like is that it seems like a good solid machine with a large table.

If there is a downside at first glance it is that the head might not have a whole lot of room between the spindle nose and the table. But then I don't know how much lower the table can move. But room between table and spindle is important. Not so much for just plain items held in the vise but for bulkier parts or tooling setups such as that dividing head and table rest holding something on a mandrel for indexed cutting.

It's very tall in the head too. So for me, being fairly tall, I think I'd want to perch it on some riser blocks so the spindle nose is roughly at mid sternum for height. That's where I've got my present mill sitting for height and I find it's nice for most of the work and I don't find any need to lean over or do other gymnastics to see the progress and condition of the cuts. But if your shop has a lower ceiling by the time the machine is up to this sort of comfortable working height the top of the motor may be up through your drywall and sitting between a couple of joists or trusses ! ! ! !

Table is very clean, it might be in very nice shape, try to find out how much use its seen. Nice package of tooling ready to work..

Looks like a nice machine. It's bigger than a bridgeport with it's 10"x48" table.
    Work hard play hard

Is yours a Shop Fox? I know they are the Grizzly sister company, I have their wood working tools and have been happy with them. Unfortunately it looks like they don't offer any larger mills any more.
    The Grizzly G0731 is a Taiwan machine and shouldn't be confused with a China version. You should probably be aware of the potential quality/price differences between a China milling machine and a Taiwan machine. Taiwan machines tend to cost more but also are generally much better quality machines.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Looks like a nice machine. It's bigger than a bridgeport with it's 10"x48" table.
    That might be what was fooling me into thinking that it does not have a lot of room between spindle and table.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

ALSO... I had trouble finding info on "Enterprise milling machine" on google. )
    Made in India, where are you going to get parts?
    If someone is or was importing them, they don't come up in a search.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Made in India, where are you going to get parts?
    If someone is or was importing them, they don't come up in a search.
    Not in this case. Picture 13 of the listing shows a label "Made in Spain" on the front of the head. I suspect that Enterprise was the importer that likely got product from a few different countries over their history.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Not in this case. Picture 13 of the listing shows a label "Made in Spain" on the front of the head. I suspect that Enterprise was the importer that likely got product from a few different countries over their history.
    A machine with no clear "parentage", where are you going to gets parts if you can't pin down the manufacturer?

Same place as we get parts for long out of production lathes that have questionable parentage. We repair, make or adapt.

Really though other than bearings and maybe lead screw nuts for a machine of that size used in a home shop what's going to break or wear? It'll be so understressed... or should be... that it's very unlikely that anything will break.