Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Milling Machine

Default First Milling Machine

I am looking around for a milling machine. Never had one or used one but it is something that would be really nice to have at times. I want it to double as a drill press so I can leave my current drill press just for wood working instead of having it do double duty. Metal shaving and oil don't play nice with wood projects. To be honest I don't know a lot about them or what things to look for or stay away from. I am looking for a floor model, I think I want something more then just a small table top.

Been keeping an eye out in my area and a 1990 Clausing Kondia CnC Knee mill FV-1 has came up for sale, it has a Dyna path cnc control. Any comments on one of these or what it should be worth?

Any other suggestions are welcome and would be great.

A decent used 3-axis CNC knee mill might sell anywhere from $3k to $15k. For a first time mill, I would only suggest getting a CNC mill that can also be used in manual mode.
    Work hard play hard

The Clausing one would be good if still functional and not worn out. One that old would probably go pretty cheap. No one will want it to earn a living with. Those were a good machine when new. There are a lot of used Bridgeports and copies floating around out there.

A mill with a quill makes the best drill press there is. We could give better advice if we knew your approximate location, as the same machinery will have widely different prices in different areas.

Welcome to the forum Mudder. I would tend to avoid someone elses CNC project and look for a manual machine more on the order of a Bridgeport J head or clone, Cincinnati Toolmaster, Lagun FT-1 or 2, or even one of the smaller mill/drill chinese machines. As above your location would be helpful. Jim

Sorry I am in northern Wisconsin, I updated my profile once I found it!

Here is the full description of the one for sale if it helps:

1990 Clausing Kondia CnC Knee mill FV-1, 2nd owner. 3hp main spindle motor, 4,000 rpm spindle, takes r8 collets. Dyna path cnc control works. We have only basically used as a manual machine, using control for digital read out. The iron is line new, perfect candidate for PC based conversion.

I'd say it's worth the $2700 they are asking...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1137...19412471475186
    Work hard play hard

Found this also but it is further away: https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...794566399.html

Be sure to check that the throat depth of the mill you choose is enough for the type of work you require.

The Bridgeport looks kind of beat up for the price they want. The CNC mill looks like a pretty good deal, but you won't have the drill press function like you would with a BP since it doesn't have a quill.

My son just bought the same mill (a little cleaner) in norther Ohio @$2500. It will be a nice first mill, other than as previously mentioned it does not have handles for manual operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
    Sorry I am in northern Wisconsin, I updated my profile once I found it!

Here is the full description of the one for sale if it helps:

1990 Clausing Kondia CnC Knee mill FV-1, 2nd owner. 3hp main spindle motor, 4,000 rpm spindle, takes r8 collets. Dyna path cnc control works. We have only basically used as a manual machine, using control for digital read out. The iron is line new, perfect candidate for PC based conversion.