Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: First Milling Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
    I'd say that this looks pretty cherry. The slightest of wear on the dovetails judging by the light wear of the frosting bodes well for a lifetime of happy use.

Some will consider the price high though. And in the old industrial heartland areas this may be the case. But out here in the rest of the continent that would be a price that I'd happily pay given the evidence of the pictures.

Of course you're going to add to that a 220v single to 3 phase VFD but that's just part of the $1500 you'll be spending pretty quickly on tooling to use with the machine.....

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    That's the mini size knee mill same as I've got. It comes in two sizes where everything is the same but one has a slightly longer travel vertical range. I've got the longer travel version. And really that's pretty much new price if you look at the same machine at Grizzly. So unless it comes with lots of extra goodies it's not really that great a price. I'd buy the $3K B'port before I got this one.
    Last edited by BCRider; 02-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    With the vise and tooling it's not a bad price. But it's clearly been allowed to rust a bit. And on top of that it's a round column mill/drill. So not as flexible in use as the B'port options. Would make for a nice "mostly drill press with some milling ability" option though.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    I'd say that this looks pretty cherry. The slightest of wear on the dovetails judging by the light wear of the frosting bodes well for a lifetime of happy use.

Some will consider the price high though. And in the old industrial heartland areas this may be the case. But out here in the rest of the continent that would be a price that I'd happily pay given the evidence of the pictures.

Of course you're going to add to that a 220v single to 3 phase VFD but that's just part of the $1500 you'll be spending pretty quickly on tooling to use with the machine.....
    Are you saying the 3 phase converter alone is $1500, I didn't think they were that much.

Are you saying the 3 phase converter alone is $1500, I didn't think they were that much.
    I believe he's talking about a VFD and tooling you will need.
    A bunch of people on here think that a VFD is the only way to go, but I've been running a BP on a Phase A Matic static phase converter for over 20 years with no regrets.
    I also usE a home brewed rotary converter for a couple of larger lathes and another BP.
    A VFD may be a good thing for some people but the only one I had was a PITA.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

That machine appears to be in pretty good shape. The drawback is that there's not much for tooling to go with it, and that's where the money can add up in a hurry. making three phase power can be done for a couple hundred dollars, depending on methods used. I think what BCRider is referring to is the cost of all the additional tooling you might want to aquire.
    Last edited by tom_d; 02-04-2019 at 10:56 PM. Reason: sp.

Tooling I can get little by little over time, that part doesn't bother me. Finding out how much a converter is going to run me is the biggest thing.