Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this,

Default What is this,

My mill drill has two of these, are they gib adjustments ? How do I set them , they arenít tight.

They are the jib adjusters indeed
    Helder Ferreira
    Setķbal, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post

That screw is basically a winch that controls the amount of wind your foremast sail sees as a usable airfoil..
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    thanks, so how do I adjust them. it's a mill drill.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post

That screw is basically a winch that controls the amount of wind your foremast sail sees as a usable airfoil..
    you are the wind in my sails 3pl

The gibs are tapered. shoving them in makes them tighter.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Yeah that ^^^^^

Turn the screw one way, tapered gib gets looser. Turn the screw the other way, tapered gib gets tighter.

so adjust for light drag, will they stay, nothing seems to be there to hold them in place. thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    thanks, so how do I adjust them. it's a mill drill.
    These are the adjustment screws for TAPERED gib strips. The parallelogram shape notched for the screw is one of the TWO screws that seems to be commonly found with these.

If your mill is the same as mine you'll find a locking screw on the other side so that you can screw the gib in to tighten the fit and then lock it with the other screw so it can't creep or work its way out of adjustment. You need to loosen the other screw so you can adjust this one or you won't get much travel out of the gib. Also when adjusted so the play is gone there will be a slight amount of drag in the dovetail. The locking screw prevents the gib strip walking back and forth by the amount of clearance of the screw in the notch. If it did you would feel a different tightness in one direction vs the other.

There was a recent thread where wrote about adjusting my own mill's table to reduce the play and gave a couple of pictures of how we can set up a dial gauge and mag base to check for free play. I set up and took the first picture below and then realized that this was a poor way to do it because it also measures the take up play in the lead screw. I then set up and took the second picture showing the way to do it where you won't measure the lead screw's end float.

To measure and adjust for no "clicking" of the dial needle you pull strongly front to back on the table's end to literally try to pry the two table and cross slide dovetails to check for any play. Adjust the gib inwards towards locking until the play is all gone and check for drag with the travel wheel for the dovetail being adjusted. By "clicking" I mean the sort of travel you will have when there's a large measure of free play and the dovetail can be cocked easily from extreme to extreme and the needle jumps from one limit to the other. There may be some spring like flex after the needle stops from a "click" but that's you actually flexing things. If you reduce that you won't be able to move the travel wheel due to it being so tight. So just remove the "clicking" type movement and then adjust to a degree of slightly extra drag from what you have with a loose fit.

Pictures of this...

Bad setup- Gauge needle is aligned so it is parallel to lead screw for the dovetail being spanned to check.

Good setup- Dial gauge finger is set so it is perpendicular to the lead screw of the dovetail being spanned by base and gauge to check for play.

And thanks for giving me a chance to use these pictures again.....

Just take the screw out and remove the gib
    and it will be clear to see how they work.
    Nothing is going to boink out at you.

-D