Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New work bench for the garage

Just hold on one minute. You've actually taken the time to take many detailed pictures and write up your project into a very informative post, that is on topic?
    Just kidding, great post!

Last edited by RB211; 02-05-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Interesting. I take it you are waiting for a nice plank to turn up to front the woodvice and keep sawdust out of the top drawers. I think the light switch will have to move then. Pegboard back is nice. Someone gave me some pegboard pegs so I went looking for the board. Then found out how much it costs in the UK which is probably why he gave the pegs away.

My next one is going to be shaped like a pyramid so it's easier to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    That all looks awesome! Perching the vise like that right over a leg will really pay off big time too. No such thing as too strong or too big a leg right under the vise.

I did the same thing with some 4" PVC for short metal parts. Mine's all in one box with staggered heights from front to back. But very much the same idea as you have. You're going to love how it works out if you still have doubts. It's so nice to pull a piece or two and things don't all just spiral fall into a big mess.

You don't have enough bits and pieces yet. You've still got all that room between the tubes....
    thanks, I hadn't even thought of that when I put the vise there, I just wanted it as far to the side as possible to create more room on the bench. The Wilton is considererably heavier than that Irwin cheapy though, so it can't hurt. The 4x4s are old fence posts from a neighbour, so really solid wood.

believe it or not, most of those smaller pieces are from printers or picked up from the side of the road. It's amazing how much metal I've found on my commute, along with 13mm sockets. Got sooo many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Looks good.

I'm gonna suggest something, though.... Especially over at the left end.... I'd put a shelf under the pegboard, maybe one with a front lip.
    good point Jerry, thanks for the tip. I'll look into that when i get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Looks like a nice job. Wanna come over to my place?
    thanks Paul I'd love to come over, shoot the breeze, drink some coffee and eat some cake. If you mean doing any more woodworking before the memory of making this one has faded, hell no! The irony was that I was just getting good at making drawers at the point where I was really sick of making drawers!

Quote Originally Posted by rohart View Post
    Very nice... but... Have the drawers got ball bearing runners ? And are the fronts and backs bracketed to the sides ?

I've had some nice 4x4s waiting for a project. Nice, again !
    good points and thanks! The slides are 22" full extension ball bearing slides (Promark, from Amazon - $60 for ten sets!), secured with five 1/2" screws on both sides of the slide. I'll keep an eye on the drawers with the chip board sides and if they look like they're pulling out, I'll through bolt them or use T-nuts.

all the drawers apart from the small one at the top left are double bottomed - 3/4+3/4 for the bottom ones and a mix of 3/4+1/2 or 1/2+1/2 for the others. For bottom and middle ones the top layer of the bottom (!) is recessed, so that the sides and back are secured by screws through the side and from the bottom, if that makes sense. The front and back are also screwed into the sides, and wood glue was used on every joint. They're crudely constructed for sure and it would make a cabinet maker weep, but they're as sturdy as I can make them. Before installing the bench, but with the drawers in, I stood in each of the bottom drawers (I'm 195lb) and they didn't flex. In fact, the bench (couple hundred pounds with draws?) tipped until the drawers were touching the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Just hold on one minute. You've actually taken the time to take many detailed pictures and write up your project into a very informative post, that is on topic?
    Just kidding, great post!
    I do my best

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Interesting. I take it you are waiting for a nice plank to turn up to front the woodvice and keep sawdust out of the top drawers. I think the light switch will have to move then. Pegboard back is nice. Someone gave me some pegboard pegs so I went looking for the board. Then found out how much it costs in the UK which is probably why he gave the pegs away.
    I'll probably just cut out a piece of cardboard if that's a problem. I'll do most of my sawing in the other vise or on a fold out table, that wood vise will more be used to hold other tools, like my grinder or bender. Peg board though is the bomb, absolutely love it. Great way to organise stuff yet still be able to rearrange things as needs change.

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    My next one is going to be shaped like a pyramid so it's easier to clean.
    ha! we'll see how long this one stays tidy. Hopefully organising the current organisers into 3 bigger ones will help. Having a place for everything helps keeps things tidy.

also found some nice bits of hard wood in the left over scraps from building the bench, so I'll be cutting them up to fit the jaws of the wood vise after getting some honey-dos done this week.

The irony was that I was just getting good at making drawers at the point where I was really sick of making drawers!
    For me it was iron on edge banding tape. My helper buddy and I must have ironed on and trimmed about 47.4 miles of the stuff. All four edges of all the drawer fronts and upper cabinet drawers and the front edges of all the exposed sides and shelves for the lowers and uppers.

And consider that what I show below is only about 1/4 of the amount of cabinets I made in total. There's a few more in the rest of the metal shop and about three times this much for the wood working and model building and firearms area in the basement.

So yeah, we got pretty good at doing cabinets and drawers.... But I don't ever want to do any more ever again..... I still wake up in a pool of sweat after the nightmares about an infinite number of front cabinet doors on a pile that never goes down and the band I'm working on keeps lifting.....

It was more than worth it though. I'm sure you're already finding the same thing judging by the way you're getting the goodies in your drawers orgainized. (3PL, no underwear jokes from you buddy! ! ! ) I daresay that the most valuable tool in any shop is enough well organized storage that tools and materials all have a place and are arranged for easy access. Not only does it make the work go faster because we can find things but it makes cleaning up after so much easier.

Never mind that you're tired of making drawers. Go with it and consider more storage options to make things even better.
    Last edited by BCRider; 02-05-2019 at 03:01 PM.

I made a bench once of 6" by 4" sawn softwood that someone gave me with a 6 foot by 2 foot top, made from two pieces of exterior 19mm plywood glued together. The size was dictated by having an 8 by 4 foot sheet cut so it could be shoehorned into the car. The remaining 2 by 4 foot bit made a strong shelf. It was bolted to the concrete wall and floor. It could have supported a couple of tons.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I made a bench once of 6" by 4" sawn softwood that someone gave me with a 6 foot by 2 foot top, made from two pieces of exterior 19mm plywood glued together. The size was dictated by having an 8 by 4 foot sheet cut so it could be shoehorned into the car. The remaining 2 by 4 foot bit made a strong shelf. It was bolted to the concrete wall and floor. It could have supported a couple of tons.
    But I'll bet it didn't shake too and fro when you were using a saw or file on something in the vise.....

If there is any one shop thing that I'm a total fanatic over it's that a bench should not wiggle and jiggle like Jello when I'm sawing, filing or planing wood parts or any other work involving horizontal motion.

that's some beautiful cabinetry work there BCRider! I've got some more shelves to put up and some rearranging to do, but not too much more work to get the garage the way we want it.

that sounds stout old mart!

Hey, I have a shelving unit work bench in my shop. Its not my only work bench, but don't sell it short.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Just did a quick check on those slides - in the uk 136 fro the 10 pair pack. That's typical of the mark-up we get crossing the pond. I wonder if Brexit will get us your world trade prices.