Thread: Shop press winch mod whatcha got. pics if ya got em !!!

Question Shop press winch mod whatcha got. pics if ya got em !!!

Well I had back surgery last year and I just simply have to be careful with the heavy lifting. especially when it can be avoided .I've wanted to add some better plates etc on my press and it's a pain needing to find help if I gotta move it up and down .so I was planning on adding the winch mod for lifting the table up and down was wondering what others have done with there's anything you wish you did different etc thanks

Sorry, no pics but the OTC press our shop had was nicely though out. One cable to each end of the table. but one end had a handle clamped to the end near the loop at the bottom. Then it was easy to crank the table and pin the plain cable end to the frame. With that end pinned, the handle was levered to lift or wiggle the end of the table to align the table to the frame to insert the pin.
    Joe

I have added winches to lift table on several presses at different places I have worked. I use a piece of 1/2” black pipe and run across the top of the press. Add a crank to the right side. Drop a small cable down each side, the cable rolls up on the pipe. Bore out some big washers to guide the cable and weld them to the pipe. Attach each cable to the ends of the table. Add a small toothed gear, I used a timing chain crank gear off of a small block chevy and a dog to make a latch to hold the weight.
    Works great, a lot of times when working on something heavy I will lower the table down low to load it and lift it till the pins fit.
    Get in the habit of checking to make sure the cables have slack before you start pressing, making sure the pins are in.
    I have went back to one place I worked and someone forgot to put the pins in and bent the pipe all to hell.
    My press I built the lift a bit different, it didn’t allow a pipe across the top easily. I will get some photos soon, I have the flu not sure I will make it out today.

I, too, would be interested in seeing pics of actual implementations. I've been wanting to do it to my press for years. At work, we have a 100 ton press that uses the ram to position the table! That's great, but my home press doesn't have that length of throw.

Some good stuff here:
    https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...o-20-ton-press
    I believe this is an example from a commercial product:

The pulley that the winch pulls down reduces the mechanical advantage by a factor of 2 but doubles the distance that the
    cross member can be moved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a Dake 75 ton press I have and this is the winch system on it. The table weights something like 500-600 lbs and it will lift it. They all seem to be basically the same. I guess something like an ATV winch could be rigged up an then it would just be a press of a button instead of cranking.

Winch handle.

Top view of pulley looking down.

I made it to the shop today here is a picture of my press hope it will help. It works really well, I cam load a heavy part low and crank the whole thing up to working height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by true temper; 02-05-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added more

My press has a double acting cyl. that I attach an extension to that pins to the table, then I use the hyd, cyl to raise and lower the table.
    THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Thanks to all for the photos.