Thread: Bought a ring gauge on ebay

Default Bought a ring gauge on ebay

Lots of measuring that is carried out involves short steps in an internal diameter that cannot be checked with rocker gauges or a tube mike. Internal measuring with calipers is the only way I have of doing this.
    I have just bought a Tesa ring gauge, hard chrome bore of 34.986mm @ 20C. It is in better condition than expected, the bore is 99% perfect. I paid 25 post paid from Germany which seems like a bargain to me. I have just tried out my Mitutoyo 500-321 digitals which are 25 years old and got a reading of 34.99mm which is as good as you can get.
    Now it is nice to have a means of checking the more difficult sizes.

Good find. Do you have other sizes or is most of your work for 35mm? (I've never used a ring-gauge)

If you don't use telescoping gauge's often (like me), then these are great for calibrating yourself before an important measurement.

35mm was the largest affordable used gauge, it is just right for a quick check before measuring. Telescoping (rocker) gauges have to have a minimum depth of hole before they can be used.
    Last edited by old mart; 02-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Telescoping (rocker) gauges have to have a minimum depth of hole before they can be used.
    The ring gauges are deep enough to get an accurate measurement if you are careful.

When I refer to this ring gauge, I mean in this instance, 35mm bore, 70mm OD and the hole is 30mm long, similar to an air gauge ring.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    When I refer to this ring gauge, I mean in this instance, 35mm bore, 70mm OD and the hole is 30mm long, similar to an air gauge ring.
    Like the one below? Mine aren't even 30mm long. If you stand them up or raise them off the bench, you have plenty of room to get an accurate measurement. Maybe not if they are very large, but it works for smaller sizes.

That's the sort, the Tesa is Swiss and the size, unusually is 35mm -14um. The owner, for clarification, had etched 34.986mm. It is hard chromed in the bore. I'm surprised the Mitutoyo doesn't also say "standard at 20 degrees C".