Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: O.T. Art people are just plain loony

That Alien, I expect those gears to mesh and have function, or it's no good.

The problem with "ART" is not artists.... they make what they like, or, in some cases, what will sell.

The problem is the loonies (art critics) who look at it and build up a fancy explanation of what the thing "represents". As if they knew more than the artist about what the artist was thinking. And then they ARGUE these theories Most of them are neither Art History folks, nor artists, they are just loony. Art history folks may do something superficially similar, but it is not the same.

OK, there are "Art Therapy" psychologists who may actually find things in art that in certain circumstances may suggest the artist's "state of mind". But the art "critics" are not those folks either just folks with too much time on their hands, and a tendency to project their own "issues" onto others.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I'm OK with art. Really I am. I don't even mind and actually see the point in some of these "stunt items" like this one being painted then shredded. It does make a good point.

What I cannot understand though is the crazy prices that such art commands. Like they SHOULD be able to make a living. I'm fine with that. But some of the stuff is just crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    What I cannot understand though is the crazy prices that such art commands. Like they SHOULD be able to make a living. I'm fine with that. But some of the stuff is just crazy!
    Say I was selling a mini lathe for $20K and you were confident that you could sell it for $40K in a few years. Would you buy it off me? Would the 20K seem crazy then?

I find it interesting that a painting can be deemed worth 50 million dollars (which makes no sense to me in itself), but a copy so perfect as to be indistinguishable without specialized equipment, is worthless.
    I know that value lies in what a purchaser is willing to pay, but the valuation of 'art' very often leaves me quite baffled.

Quote Originally Posted by pinstripe View Post
    Say I was selling a mini lathe for $20K and you were confident that you could sell it for $40K in a few years. Would you buy it off me? Would the 20K seem crazy then?
    That is speculative investing, not appreciation of (and independently monetarily valuing) art itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That is speculative investing, not appreciation of (and independently monetarily valuing) art itself.
    Of course it is. Do you think the high prices aren't fueled by speculators? You cannot value a piece of art independently of the speculators. You may just love the piece and intend to donate it to a gallery, but if a speculator is willing to pay $x, then you will have to pay a bit more to get it (assuming an auction).

What about art created by monkeys and other animals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal-made_art

That has raised some interesting arguments about copyright ownership, including selfie camera images.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/ar...by-monkey.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.14396409b19a

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I find it interesting that a painting can be deemed worth 50 million dollars (which makes no sense to me in itself), but a copy so perfect as to be indistinguishable without specialized equipment, is worthless.
    I know that value lies in what a purchaser is willing to pay, but the valuation of 'art' very often leaves me quite baffled.
    It's the same strange phenomenon that drives people to spend ridiculous sums on autographed memorabilia or, even more baffling, trash that was once used by a celebrity (e.g. a paper coffee cup used by a famous actor, etc.). Strange. But then those people probably think we're strange for spending even just a few hundred dollars on "worthless" hunks of metal. <shrug>

The price of art always reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbIU0X-lCI