Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Crazy buildings in NYC......

Here's one I would not want to be in, San Francisco's Millinnium Tower. Lot of People lost/losing a lot of money here. Ex football QB Joe Montana, for one.
    But, not to worry, they can fix it back up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcf6tEmkNs

I wouldn't want to live in one, unless it was free to flex and bend as it pleases.
    Work hard play hard

In the 1980s and 1990sI used to work on the 20th floor in a 20 story office building in Southfield Michigan. As viewed from above, it was a long rectangle with long sides and narrow ends. It had gold windows, and was named after a large insurance company....some members located in Michigan may know it.

On a few windy days per year it would sway. The office doors, being fairly heavy 9 footers, would sway an inch or two. The window blinds would swing and clink on the window frames. A few folks would retreat to the lunch room or restrooms. One of the building guys told us the top was capable of a six foot sway in heavy winds. Don't know if he really knew anything about that or not.

Windy days were interesting. Especially if we had visitors unaccustomed to this movement.

It was a nice office and appreciated, but I'm just as glad to be on the ground in my garage hobby shop and retired.

Oaks.

I have no desire to live in a large city. If I found myself in one, however, I'd try to live as far up in of one of those buildings as possible. I'd prefer to be above the noise and claustrophobia of the streets. As far as the swaying goes -- it would be like living in a big treehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    I had a chance to visit the Sears Tower back in the .........
    90s for me. Same experience. I'm not wild about heights and very much noticed that the building was swaying in the wind.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Jumping out of a plane didn't bother me one bit, until I got closer to the ground......
    as they say, it's not the falling out of the plane that kills you, but hitting the ground

can't see the problem with flexing and swaying buildings, they're supposed to move, much like buildings in earthquake zones. If they don't flex or sway then once the load on them (wind, earth moving etc) is greater than their load capacity, they fail.

Dan's post reminds me of the first time I climbed a 2,000' communication/tv tower. Standing at the base, my buddy (an old hand who managed the tower company) said "don't pay any mind to the height - anything over 50' and you're dead anyway".
    Like Matt said, it's not the fall, it's the sudden stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Dan's post reminds me of the first time I climbed a 2,000' communication/tv tower. Standing at the base, my buddy (an old hand who managed the tower company) said "don't pay any mind to the height - anything over 50' and you're dead anyway".
    Like Matt said, it's not the fall, it's the sudden stop.
    I used to say that to people who said my motorcycle racing was dangerous because I was going so fast. It's not the speed that kills you it's the sudden stop lol.

When the cows look like ants, you're still fine... When the ants look like cows, it's too late
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    as they say, it's not the falling out of the plane that kills you, but hitting the ground

can't see the problem with flexing and swaying buildings, they're supposed to move, much like buildings in earthquake zones. If they don't flex or sway then once the load on them (wind, earth moving etc) is greater than their load capacity, they fail.
    Swaying is good for the building.

Swaying is not so good for the visitor who is not used to it..... My wife used to work on a far shorter and fatter building, and even it swayed very noticeably. With the height to width ratio of those buildings, they must move a lot. I do not think even the long term residents would like it in a real windstorm....

I hope they got their figuring correct about the eddies and turbulence, so that the building will not have any un-damped wind-induced resonant movements.... There is an 800 tonne mass damper somewhere up in the very thin 1200 foot building, 432 Park Ave.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan