Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shop Spring Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Lose the weight rack and weights, you don't need those if you just keep lifting your machinery around enough often

Clamp two Kurt vices to 1" 4130PH bar and you get your biceps covered
    I do have a Planet Fitness membership. But the lifting gear doesn't take much space.

Normal size garage ceiling.

I am thinking of a plastic lean-to shed on the side of the garage to hold raw materials, greases and oils, grinding wheels, and other stuff water can't hurt.

Seriously, I have tools that I'll never use. My wife calls me the tool junkie. (She's the Quilt-a-holic, with tote after tote of cloth, half of a guest bedroom full.) Spring cleaning will help a lot.

I could modularize tools, to allow me to store the tool under something between uses.

This downsizing will be a good conceptual dry run for moving into managed living. I'll then have to go Sherline, with a small bench top drill press, and other tiny gear. NO welding gear (fire regs). I've visited managed care places. RVs have more living space. I COULD rent garage space, but managed living is EXPENSIVE!!! NO left over money for that.
    Last edited by John Buffum; 02-07-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    I wish that was the case over here. A 4x8 foot 1" steel plate has always costed 50+++ times more than the equivalent 32 board feet of premium oak, cherry, etc.
    Well.... plate is a bit different from bar stock.

I know for sure that for the same cost worth of angle iron and 2x4's that I can build more benches or stands in steel than I can in wood of the same strength. But that would go right out the window when it comes to that sort of weight worth of steel.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Also, add some 4'x8' work benches. I have two 4x8' heavy duty work benches in my shop and at first thought you would think they take up lots of space. But they actually also hold 4x8' of items under the benches so it's almost like giving yourself double the floor space.
    I heartily agree.

A big part of a good home shop where room is ALWAYS at a premium is to think in terms of how we use our VOLUME. Surface area can be created and used once we start thinking in terms of volume usage instead of area. Displace the air volume in the shop with your "stuff" in good ways and suddenly you'll have more places to put your stuff than you do stuff.

In business you rent by the square foot and use by the cubic foot.

Quote Originally Posted by strokersix View Post
    My stock and offal rack is this big and that is how much room I choose to dedicate.
    You have a rack for animal viscera? Or is that another example of why autocorrectors are useless?
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

How else would one properly hang their offal for smoking?
    Stock goes in the pot however, and viscera can just go in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Well.... plate is a bit different from bar stock.

I know for sure that for the same cost worth of angle iron and 2x4's that I can build more benches or stands in steel than I can in wood of the same strength. But that would go right out the window when it comes to that sort of weight worth of steel.
    Still sounds completely crazy. An 8 foot long 2x4 costs $2.64. How much does an 8 foot long 1.25" angle iron (1/8" thick) cost you? Costs me $16.68.
    Work hard play hard

Geez... if you want to break it down then yeah, steel is more expensive than wood. But I've always been quite surprised that it didn't cost me all that much to make things out of metal.

The point I was hoping to make is that if you're all anything like me we try to save each and every small piece because it'll be just the right size for something someday. And pretty soon we don't have room for other more important things. When it gets that bad it's time to thin the scrap pile since it's just not all THAT costly to buy more steel.

I used to keep any scrap of steel I could. One day I HAD to clean out my shed. I had saved crap I would NEVER use.
    Tossed most of it and felt better.
    Last winter I did another big purge and don't miss any of it. Going to start another purge in areas(cabinets) I missed.
    I still save small bits and pieces to machine or weld together but at some point I bin it!

A good place to get steel angle for shelving and other non-critical purposes might be a place that sells beds. They usually haul away the old mattresses and frames, and sell the steel at scrap prices. You could probably offer $5 per pair of frame rails and they would be happy to have you take them.