Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop Spring Cleaning

Also, add some 4'x8' work benches. I have two 4x8' heavy duty work benches in my shop and at first thought you would think they take up lots of space. But they actually also hold 4x8' of items under the benches so it's almost like giving yourself double the floor space.
    Work hard play hard

I have 4 of these in my shop. Each on is 2'x8' and rated for 3000lbs so they are very stout. I put two of them back-to-back to create my 4'x8' workbenches.

See how they are wide open under the benches. They are height adjustable and also have very stout leveling feet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-...-US1/207131346

Work hard play hard

I just started last night to clear out an area downstairs. Spent 2 hours moving stuff around, then vacuuming. Today I spent 5 hours preparing shelving and supports, and making a good base for a shelving unit. In total about 44 sq ft of added storage area. Key to a lot of it is figuring out how to make maximum use of an available space. Materials on hand worked out well for me on this project, and provides a home for said materials- which frees up other spaces.

Where my small shop breaks down is not so much the amount of equipment, but the materials. I'm thinking maybe build a materials cart to keep a good amount of it inside the shop. . An A frame cart could be made, sheet materials lean in on one side - the other side could be for rod, tubing, pipe, stuff like that. Lots of open shelves for that stuff. Both sides of the cart would lean in (all within the footprint of the base of course) and the space within would be thin bottomed sliding drawers- the full length of the cart. These drawers would open from either end, so each drawer is essentially two drawers- very deep drawers. This concept is great for storing drill rod, music wire, smaller diameter tubing, threaded rod, etc as well as cutoffs. With capable castors it can be easy-rolling, and something perhaps 2 ft wide and 4 to 6 ft long would actually hold a lot of materials- and be about as compact as you could expect. The higher you build it, the more it will hold.

Keep something like that inside the shop, and then everything longer or bigger would simply have to go into a storage area, maybe a container. Ideally this cart would have an area against a wall where it could reside. Roll either end out to pull a drawer open, or pull the whole thing into the walkway to have access to the other side. Make it so it'll still go through a doorway.

Just some more ideas.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

My main 4x8' work bench for whatever...

My welding 4x8' bench with a 1/4" steel plate on top.

Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by John Buffum View Post
    (HaHaHa) You must not be married.
    not any more

Looks like a nice bench except for those dinky little feet. Like a weightlifter wearing stilettos. I'd say the main thing is to make sure you are using the height to the max, like 3ph and his mezzanine.
    These Whalen racks are available in the uk Costco stores much cheaper so must be available in the US stores too. I've seen the style in Bunnings in Oz too. Very rigid, enough to be a bench with storage above. If placed on a few blocks to raise the 6ft top you could bridge between two too to use all that wasted airspace above your head.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Lose the weight rack and weights,
    or recycle them into something useful. I got real excited when my neighbour offered me his son's old weights thinking I'd got a few nice CI flywheels. Turned out they were concrete covered in plastic. Not even a metal bush in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter N View Post
    And don't forget to label the storage boxes correctly, like "pieces of string to short to use.."
    Now THAT was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    My main 4x8' work bench for whatever...

My welding 4x8' bench with a 1/4" steel plate on top.

Too clean.
    Too new.
    Has that vise ever held anything?
    Has that bench ever had anything on it?

Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Too clean.
    Too new.
    Has that vise ever held anything?
    Has that bench ever had anything on it?
    Why would I use the vise? Why would I put anything on it? Wow, very smart questions. This logic might blow your mind, but those pictures were taken right after setting them up last year.
    Work hard play hard