Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire termination crimping tool?

Default Wire termination crimping tool?

I am building a couple of machines that will require a lot of wire termination crimping. What would be the best brand to buy? I think I will need several tools for large and small gauge wire.

What should I buy? Is Knipex a good brand? Is there a better brand?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I use this one for 10 years and like it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never seen Knipex crimpers, but based on my experience with their other tools, the crimpers must be good.

If memory serves correctly, we used Thomas & Betts.
    Aircraft wire termination, seems they are a bit pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    I am building a couple of machines that will require a lot of wire termination crimping. What would be the best brand to buy? I think I will need several tools for large and small gauge wire.

What should I buy? Is Knipex a good brand? Is there a better brand?
    Terminal crimpers or "bootlace ferrule" crimpers?

Knipex is pretty good but many of the "asian imports" also work fine unless you need to crimp tens of thousands terminals..

I have Knipex "clones": https://www.ebay.com/itm/Self-Adjust...frcectupt=true

Wide range of sizes, bit slow and tiring to use for small sizes. Real Knipex is not much better ergonomics-vise and they are bit costly for home shopper (about 250 euros list price)
    Last edited by MattiJ; 02-06-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Weidmüller is fantastic, but $$$ (or €€€ in your case). They have a quarterly newsletter called Q-Specials, you can get better deals there. Their web site appears to be down at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Terminal crimpers or "bootlace ferrule" crimpers?

)
    I don't know the difference!!!! I am mainly interested in using it for the wires that get pushed into terminal blocks and then a screw is tightened to clamp. What ever those do-hickys are called that is what I want to crimp! And to crimp the thingamajigs that you use on say the earth ground wires. The ones that have the hole that a screw goes through. Or the wires going into a motors connection box with the studs and nuts.....you know those whatjamacallits!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I don't know the difference!!!! I am mainly interested in using it for the wires that get pushed into terminal blocks and then a screw is tightened to clamp.
    That's the bootlace crimper. It holds all the wires together in a tight bundle. Like tinning them with a soldering iron, but better.

And to crimp the thingamajigs that you use on say the earth ground wires. The ones that have the hole that a screw goes through. Or the wires going into a motors connection box with the studs and nuts.....you know those whatjamacallits!
    That's the other one. What a surprise, you need both

I don't know the difference!!!! I am mainly interested in using it for the wires that get pushed into terminal blocks and then a screw is tightened to clamp. What ever those do-hickys are called that is what I want to crimp! And to crimp the thingamajigs that you use on say the earth ground wires. The ones that have the hole that a screw goes through. Or the wires going into a motors connection box with the studs and nuts.....you know those whatjamacallits!
    Ferrule just keeps the wire strands under control and eases assembly. Used a lot in europe:

Ring, fork or spade terminals are also used but I use probably 100 times? more ferrules in industrial installations vs. ring/fork/spade terminals.

You probably need to have all of them.. several pliers or more depending what range you need to cover. For example VFD side of cable might need ferrule and the motor side needs ring terminal

What I have and use:
    Ferrule crimpers
    insulated terminal crimpers
    non-insulated terminal crimpers (small, large and hydraulic ones)
    non-insulated terminal crimpers for weird automotive connectors

To steer you in the right direction more information is needed. Saying small and large gauge wire doesn't quite get it. Also saying a lot of wire terminations is subjective. For me a lot of wire terminations for one job would be 1000+ stripping and crimping #18 to #10 stranded wire. The best stripper/crimper I used in my 35 years of electrical and controls work was the T&B WT2000. There are better stand alone strippers and crimpers available but for most of my work the T&B worked the best.

The electrical connector you use might determine the crimp tool. For example; will the connectors be insulated or uninsulated, heavy duty (thick) or standard type connectors.

My guess is a T&B WT2000 stripper/crimper would do everything you need it to and do it very nicely up 10 gauge stranded.

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Betts-...0ZFFXMFJJMYJF9

On edit: the WT2000 is not the tool for boot lace crimps, they will take a special crimping tool.
    Last edited by nc5a; 02-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Do you all know that there are a lot of crimpers on the market!!! I was just on Knipex and Weidmüller sites....there are a lot of tools. Are the ones that crimp in a square the correct ones for the ferrules? Mostly I need to crimp .75, 1, 1,5, and 2.5mm wires. I wish one of you had just written buy this one and this one......