Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire termination crimping tool?

I have the square type and love it! They fit better in terminal strips IMHO. The multi-nest type tends to leave your crimped sleeve stuck in its slot, where the 4/6 way let's loose every time. A real annoyance saver!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Not schilling my friend, just a satisfied user, over the many years in industry, I have bought cheap tools, and expensive tools, the expensive ones cost more, we get dewalt and milwauki, both now made in China, my take on that is, if yer going to buy a chinese tool, make sure you pay a chinese price!, finally sussed how you post pics to this website.

I build my own panels as part of my occupation, so I like to get quality even if a little pricey, so my First choice is Weidmuller.
    Their other products are very nice also, terminals custom DIN rail mount circuits etc, as well as terminals.
    If this is for a one off or small project, then there are many out there, ebay etc, that are not bad for short operations.
    Max.

Working in TV, I have terminated tens of thousands of wires. Most of the brand names in terminals also sell the tools needed for them. Some names that come to mind are:

AMP
    3M
    Amphenol
    Cinch
    Greenlee
    Molex
    Neutrik
    Panduit
    Sargent Tools

I have used most of these brands and not had any trouble. Most hand crimp tools work much the same way. Insert connector, insert wire, close the dies, done. One main difference in the hand tools is that some rely on a pair of flats on the two jaws to determine the crimp distance and others have a ratchet device that does not open until it has been closed far enough. If you are doing the work yourself, then either is good. If you are going to employ some unskilled labor to do the crimping, then the ratchet style is the better choice.

I am sure that there are other good brands. I try to avoid the "no name" tools: some of them are really awful.

Here's just one source:

https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine...=crimping+tool
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Default Testing Crimp Tools

I have a quick test for a prospective crimping tool. I prepare a stranded, copper wire and crimp it with a FULL closure in the appropriate connector. I then grab that connector in a vise and pull on the wire until it fails - until it separates from the connector. If the wire breaks, with pieces of some or all the strands still in the connector, the tool is OK. If the wire just pulls out of the connector, with NO broken strands, then the tool is rejected. I have returned tools to the supplier based on this test.

In my professional career as well as my personal projects, I have never had a problem with a tool that passed this test. But I am careful when making crimp connections.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Years ago at an auction I bought a box of "stuff" for probably about $25 or so. One of the items, which I knew nothing about, had the name DMC on it. When I got it home I could tell it was some kind of crimper, and a quality item, but still had no idea of its value. Turned out to be quite a bargain I got there!

https://www.google.com/search?q=dmc+...nt=firefox-b-1

If you get the right type of terminal block you don't need a crimper at all for common stranded wire. For fine stranded wire such as welding cable hammer crimpers are available that are cheap and effective. Saves a boatload of time.

Had a pair of McMaster ferrule crimpers 5722K16 at my last job. Expensive but really fast and works great when the wires are really short. #28 to #7 with one tool no die change.

With regard to the ring terminals, be careful.

I have found that some brands that used to have good brazed barrel terminals now make non-brazed ones, where the wire barrel is folded around but the two ends are not brazed. Those do not work as well as the old type. At least I found out about it when insulated terminals failed on some prototypes. They were crimped with standard good ratcheting crimpers that had always given good results. When they were checked, the split barrels was found, and the unused ones were found to be not brazed.

Switching to ones that were brazed returned to good performance with the same crimpers.

There was no special crimper identified to be used with the split barrel insulated terminals.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    With regard to the ring terminals, be careful.

I have found that some brands that used to have good brazed barrel terminals now make non-brazed ones, where the wire barrel is folded around but the two ends are not brazed. Those do not work as well as the old type. At least I found out about it when insulated terminals failed on some prototypes. They were crimped with standard good ratcheting crimpers that had always given good results. When they were checked, the split barrels was found, and the unused ones were found to be not brazed.

Switching to ones that were brazed returned to good performance with the same crimpers.

There was no special crimper identified to be used with the split barrel insulated terminals.
    Bigger "real" brands seem to have full spectrum of terminal barrels types available, non-brazed, double sleeve and brazed. Brazed and double sleeve seem to work fine.
    Local auto store sold earlier Taiwanese K.S. double sleeve terminals under their own house brand and they worked fine, now they seem to sell some super thin wall junk.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 02-07-2019 at 02:19 AM.